A Personal Question of Length?

The History Man":cgfmm2vs said:
Ok somebody on here tells me I've got short legs for my height. Never gave it any thought until recently looking at frame sizes. What's your inside leg and height?

I am 6'3" with 33" ins leg. Freak?

Please tell me your height/leg for comparison and your mtb and road frame sizes.

Thanks. Picking up 19" mtb at 7pm and wondering.

I'm 6ft with a 32in inside leg; don't own a mountain bike any more but the road bikes I own are 22.5in (race) and 23in (tourer) whilst the CX bike is only 22in to aid dismounting & remounting.

David

It's nice to reach a conclusion learning along the way. :) gardening today. Off to measure my ride heights and top tubes!

6'8" with a 38" inside leg. Realistically I can only ride 29ers and road bikes, on my retro MTB I look like a grasshopper with a hunchback.

I only size via top tube, though. My 29er has an effective top tube of around 63.5cm, and my road bike 60cm.

I have to size by both really. While i physically be able to cram myself onto a tiddler, having 12 feet of exposed seatpost is rather disconcerting if you weigh 250lbs as you can see and feel it flexing, and it wouldn't be long before I broke a frame. I need a21-22" frame to combat this, and at that size I've never found one that didn't fit reasonably well length wise (oo-er!)

Chopper1192":2yp8z4o3 said:
While i physically be able to cram myself onto a tiddler, having 12 feet of exposed seatpost is rather disconcerting if you weigh 250lbs as you can see and feel it flexing

Know dat feel. 220lb and three bent seat posts in 6 months. Using a Thomson now, no issues so far.

gtRTSdh":1bzh95k3 said:
The History Man":1bzh95k3 said:
I have concluded from this that reach and bar height is more important as there is less adjustment without changing parts etc.

Inside leg varies greatly amongst similar heights but can be accommodated across a range of frame sizes.

Would I be wrong?

Yes exactly, there is one brand of road bikes, where the frame 'size' refers to top tube length rather than seat tube.

There's an interesting article from Cervelo here, where they show that as some frames get taller, they don't actually get longer.

Link included this time:

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/t ... d-fit.html

A bit under 6'2" (187 cm) and 35.5" (90.5 cm) inside leg length (real, not trouser).

I ride 60 cm road bikes and 20" mtb's.

Back