Moist Action

This was not the thread I had imagined :cry:

But I too have one of the Altura Nightvision jackets, been absolutley fine until the handle bit broke off the zipper recently (zip still works, but is a little more awkward now).

Full mudguards? I have them on my work bike, not stylish but very useful if the roads are wet (and not just when it's raining).

This is pretty retro. You could wear your work clothes under it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 257
Goretex all the way,secondhand off ebay,golf stuff in odd sizes and colours is cheap,as is military stuff.

I cut up a pair of military paclite trousers,ended up with longer than knee length waterproof shorts,and a pair of overshoes for about £20

careful now":20lr0fp4 said:
Goretex all the way,secondhand off ebay,golf stuff in odd sizes and colours is cheap,as is military stuff.

I cut up a pair of military paclite trousers,ended up with longer than knee length waterproof shorts,and a pair of overshoes for about £20

+1 to this, if you can find stuff that isnt too encumbering for riding
i use a special forces all in one overall type thing, full goretex, rubberized cuffs and ankles. nomex too incase i have to ride through a fire. cost about 20 quid

I had an Altura Nevis jacket, it was well made and completely waterproof, but the fit was totally wrong for me. I'm quite stocky and the Altura jacket was too tight across the shoulders and around my upper arms, so I'd avoid Altura if you're more Chris Hoy shaped than Bradley Wiggins shaped. :D

I bought one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenn-Mens-Rap ... 3cc4ec2652. I'd never heard of Tenn before, but I'm pleased with the jacket, it fits much better than the Altura, seems as well made and has so far been completely waterproof.

I also have some Altura Nevis waterproof trousers and these fit just fine, but I only wear them if it's raining really hard.

I also now have full, permanently fixed mudguards and they are much better than the clip on ones I had before. The rear clip-on was OK but the short front mudguard meant that your feet got pretty wet from the spray off the front wheel.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have a yellow polaris jacket from go outdoors and a pair of muddy fox overtrousers from sportsdirect. Ok for an hour of drizzle or half an hour of peeing in down. In your context chopper I can get as faras the other side of cranfield from mk in normal rain before I start to get damp. But then I also keep my work clothes at work and take a pair of dry socks and skiddies in my pannier and just rotate the use as necessary

the one thing that annoys me is how wet my feet get.
my waterproof trousers ride up and direct all the running water from my legs down into the top of my socks making a nice pool of water in my waterproof shoes.

if anything make sure the trousers can hook over your shoes, or are long enough to bypass the top of the shoe upper.

another thing - make sure the pockets have overlapping zip covers. the jackets (and backpacks for that matter) with 'waterproof zip' linings fray after a while when the glue disintegrates. or go for a jacket with only a map pocket (vertical zip with a nice big over lap).

or, go for quick drying clothes. but as you said, you dont like getting wet.

failing that, get a waterproof onesie. but make sure you poo before you head out.

i lookedinto getting a better setup for wet riding ( i live on the south coast so it hoons it down with a nice head wind sometimes) but gave up and just made sure my change of clothes stayed dry in my bag.
its such a faff and time consumer getting all kitted up in the morning. it just adds to my misery of a wet windy day.

Back