Classic Jigsaw - is it YOU?

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Picked this up today from the Sheffield Jumble, nominally as a present for Mrs Ned (she loves jigsaws!). Her expression when I said I'd bought her a present and the one when she saw it weren't necessarily the same. Anyway, we'll probably do it and sell it on at the next jumble (unless anyone wants it here of course).

I reckon the photo is from the 70's, possibly in the south of Birmingham/Warwickshire area? The green/yellow/black jersey is definitely Evesham and District Wheelers and the blue/white one has a large 'W' on it. Even though they look slightly familiar, I can't say for certain what the other clubs are. I don't recognise any of the riders either - but do any of you?!

It would be great to discover that one of them is an RB member!

Lovely Purple Harry Quinn in the front.

Attachments

• Jigsaw May 2013.B.jpg
    Jigsaw May 2013.B.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 560
No Ideas on the riders but nice spot on the Quinn............usually quinn's were painted in a pretty eye catching colour, my favourite was Harry Quinn Yellow :)

Tricky to work out the others though, the bike to the riders left of the quinn has a pale blue Peugeot colour?

Shaun

The chap in the blue appears to be re-thinking his gear choice for that hill, or up shifting to mount an attack?

The third rider is Evesham and District Wheelers.

Ooops edit: it helps to read the whole of the original post!

Featch":1lk61857 said:
The third rider is Evesham and District Wheelers.

Ooops edit: it helps to read the whole of the original post!

I thought this might possibly be from your old stamping ground. None of the other jerseys familiar to you either?

Let me see... 100% black shoes with toeclips, Mr. Blue jersey looks to have centrepulls, might be a few Universals and Weinmanns back there, not an anodised rim in sight. I would say 1974, but if Mr. Approaching-corner-on-inside is on a red/black/yellow Raleigh, it's probably 1975 at least.

Possibly an early season race as there are no leaves on the trees...and I also think Mr Blue looks like he is about to be lapped (it's the look on his face compared with the rider on the Harry Quinn)

notsofast":2w9znqke said:
Possibly an early season race as there are no leaves on the trees.

Could be a summer race in Scotland............................ :twisted:

Or are you suggesting that it would be warm enough early season to ride in shorts and short sleeves! What a ridiculous idea.

These days anyway :(

Yep...guy in blue is being lapped. Everyone knows centre pulls were way slower than side pulls in the 70's :D

Shaun

Back