Tricky tricky help required

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Im making a sideboard
I'm unable to make a sideboard that looks like a sideboard
It is to be cylindrical and the ends are to taper to near enough a point.
It is 1600mm long x 450mm diameter.
It is made up of hard Maple slats 40mm wide x 6-9mm thick in the region of 35 slats.
It is constructed in a similar manner to boat construction using carver jointing (Think- Something akin to a nosecone shape when finished)(Carver jointing is gluing edge to edge without the overlap seen on Clinker construction)

Here lies the big problem
The ends of the slats need to be curved so that they all create segments that when bent into shape all the way around join up perfectly to give you the tapering nosecone shape The curve will be steam bent into it approximate shape before any marking out or machining of the segments occurs. While this makes machining difficult it should make it easier to pull the segments together in the final gluing up stage. A bit less pressure needed
Should be noted at least by me or anyone else stupid enough to try to attempt this level of carpentry that not only are the ends of each slat to be a parabolic curve but that both leading edges must be beveled to a 15 degree angle(i think its actually 15.62d)
The length of the tapered sections is about 400mm . Tapering to a point would be nice but it would be likely rather difficult to form the point at the ends with the bevel without short grain sections snapping off( no guarantees they wont anyway) So a blunter end would do,just depends on what works in the prototypes stage.

Now you know the shape my big question is
How do i lay out on paper the segments that form the ends ?. I understand theres a formula for this kind of nose cone shape but its about 15 calculations long and it scares the willies out of me just looking at it.
What im really saying is Who has computer softwear that can solve this problem for me then send me the file/disc so i can have it printed off full sized to make a template to draw around on each of the slats. and all for a packet of #jelly baby's. :D

Not expecting too many replies with this one :LOL:

# Open to negotiation

So a cone, made out of segments, 450mm diameter x 400mm long, tapering a point, and you'd like a spreadsheet to calculate the shapes of the pieces to construct the cone? These pieces will be machined out of pre curved wood, so when assembled the cone is conical, not made of flat pieces? Link me to the maths and I'll give you an idea if I can do it or not (I'm quite reasonable at Maths).

there is a program for making wooden kayak forms, ill see if I can find it. im not quite clear on what you are doing but it sound like strip built kayak method of building. pics might help

A pic of the current state of play. It should give you the idea of what im trying to get to :?

this is effectivly one quarter. Cheaper making prototypes in part.

Attachments

• Sideboard projectt 001 (Small).JPG
    Sideboard projectt 001 (Small).JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 352
  • Sideboard projectt 003 (Small).JPG
    Sideboard projectt 003 (Small).JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 352
You my friend have just given me a headache! Good luck and if you can be arsed please do a step by step photo diary as i find this sort of thing fascinating.

Back