Disc brake adapter for a 97 marzocchi bomber z1

ellist

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Disc brake adapter for a 97 marzocchi bomber z1 needed as I just got the disc brake and the hole spacing is different on the 97 forks. Pre IS apparently. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There were a very very small number of the 'Formula Standard' to IS mounts produced BITD but these are long since out of circulation in my experience. I have a set of 97 Z1's and had the same problem on my Spooky build, I resolved it by searching for and locating a #4 (Formula Standard) Hope C2 Caliper, it took a few months but they are more freely available than any other option. Good luck.

Posted on your other thread, you would do well to search the forum, big Eck made some adapters... And twin disks

A2Z components made adapters for those forks. Actually formula and IS mounts are the same bolt spacing as I recall, but the mount distances from the axle center is what is different. IS calipers fit formula mount tabs, but then the standard rotor size ends up a mm or so too large in radius, and the top of the disc rotor carves into your caliper as it spins. The 1998/99 Manitou forks used the formula spacing, when I ran a IS caliper on one with a 160mm rotor, it dug a groove into the top of the caliper as well as into one of the mounting bolts.

I'm beginning to think I would be better off swapping them z1's for some forks I can mount the brakes to. The IS bracket hole to the fork are about 1-2 mm further apart. Then the caliper isn,t far enough accross for the disc by 3mm ish and the disc needs to be spaced further from the wheel as the spokes are hitting the caliper. Grrrr. The other option is changing the front wheel and using V brakes. All I want to do is take it for a good hack in the forest.

If you have hope brakes with 185mm rotors, you can get away with using 183mm rotors from the V2 and use lots of spacers when mounting the caliper.

It's not pretty but it works.

Old thread, but for the ones surfing the net it might be helpfull.

This Disc Adapter Formular (FS) to IS Mount is for older Marzocchi's like Z1 & Z2 from 1996+.

I solved this problem now by doing this well known adapter as I have a box full with orange Marzocchi Z1 from the beginning and people contantly asking for it 2-3 times in a month. Not that mass seller product, but I like to fix problems. 🙏🤣

I needed some years to get a master sample, but here it is : Made out of Aluminium 7075, HQ CNC maschined, anodized. May not fit perfect to all Disc mounts, but it is a comfortable base to make your Z1 running on disc just by little changes!

==> https://dr-zocchi.projectweb.de/disc-adapter/

Attachments

• Marzocchi Disc Brake Adapter Magura 20221128 I quer800px.jpg
    Marzocchi Disc Brake Adapter Magura 20221128 I quer800px.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
Back