1997 Santa Cruz Heckler: Updated Page 16

Re: SANTA CRUZ Heckler: 11th May Picture Update pg8

spacehopper":32w645w0 said:
coming along nicely...!

really must make a thread for my o/h's 97 heckler..

i ran it (when i rode it a couple of times before she stole it..!) with both 80mm and 100mm marzocchi's and it handled nicely with both forks.. 80mm felt better as a general trail bike.. but the 100mm Z1's and slacker head angle felt nicer on the downhills!

those bombers look more like 60mm travel versions to me though.. but could be the photo angle?

They may well be 60mm actually but I just wanted the fork changed before the weekend as I'm supposed to be taking the bike to the forest of dean for three days :) I'm still holding out for a nice set of 100mm z1's though 60/80mm travel is a too short for my liking

This looks really nice. Great job. Wouldn't mind one of these myself!

Looks lovely :) Some sort of chain guide up front would be a good idea, though.

Cheers guys, and yeah when I sell the pace forks (50 pounds anybody? ;) and I have a bit more money to play with I might look for an mrp device or maybe a dmr one with the single roller :? Haven't had any problems with chain slip as of yet though

Sean :)

Re: SANTA CRUZ Heckler: 13th May Picture Update pg8

SEANSTEPHENS":yc7nie77 said:
Update: 13/5/2013

ive bought these marzocchi Z2 off the forum, they are only 80mm travel which ideally is a bit short, but im sure they will tidy up quite nice with a bit of tlc. so i will probably use them as a temporary fork, either that or keep them for a while and get some matching red ano bits for the bike :? Still keeping an eye out for a nice set of Z1's though!!

sean

after a week of hassle with the courier service, these almost mint '98 bomber z2 arrived on my doorstep. however after buying these off the forum the other week, i then found a nice pair of z1 on Ebay, and i have now bought both :facepalm: may keep these as a spare fork, but as they are such good condition, i will probably pass them on to another member, havent decided yet :?

sean

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 582
Re: 1997/1998 Santa Cruz Heckler build 25/5/13

these 1999 bomber z1's arrived for me today!! after being in storage for the last 8 years they are very dull looking and there is quite a lot of pitting which you cant really see in the pics. ive already begun work on the crown but the legs need attention too. i will need to remove the graphics to shine the legs up the way that i want to, and the stickers are a bit too tatty for my liking anyway. may get new ones made up at some point though

pics

Attachments

• IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 521
Re: 1997/1998 Santa Cruz Heckler build 25/5/13

SEANSTEPHENS":2y047okj said:
these 1999 bomber z1's arrived for me today!! after being in storage for the last 8 years they are very dull looking and there is quite a lot of pitting which you cant really see in the pics. ive already begun work on the crown but the legs need attention too. i will need to remove the graphics to shine the legs up the way that i want to, and the stickers are a bit too tatty for my liking anyway. may get new ones made up at some point though

pics

ive had the afternoon off, so i got straight to work on the bombers..... I began by peeling off the graphics and they revealed a lovely shine underneath. due to the pitting and corrosion being a little worse than what i had anticipated, i ended up sanding down both legs entirely with 120 grit paper... i even had to use a file in places :LOL: (they looked a right state afterwards) but then with the use of 600, 1200 and 1500 grit paper they started to take shape. then i gave them a good rub down with some wire wool to give them the shine.... not even any autosol type polish was needed :)

will have to get better pics once it stops raining :roll:

sean

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 511
Re: 1997/1998 Santa Cruz Heckler build: My Z1's Have Arrived

nice job on the bombers! theyll match the rest of the bike perfectly :)

they do come up well with a bit of elbow grease..! i love old school zocchis!

Back