Caygill Custom Columbus

jinjrich":2mfzve2v said:
I didn't know they did such serious metal! Remind me of my old dual slalom bike!

I prefer the solid lettering.

I had a good chat with Rick about what I was after at the time and he built that out of 853, must have been about 1992/93-ish I think. The frame's still going strong today, it's my 'keeper' and will be passed onto my eldest nephew when I pass away!

Anyway, back to the columbus one here, I can picture it with the solid lettering myself too.

xerxes":2kzz77kt said:
The rear spacing is 130mm so i guess i could use an 8 speed road hub and a cassette spacer. That would be interesting.

It would be easy enough to "cold set" the rear end so that the its 135mm: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html.

As it's only 130mm at the rear and you say it's early 90s, I wonder if should have shorter, non suspension corrected forks with a 390mm axle to crown length.

Nice frame, definately a bit more interesting than a Kilauea in my opinion. :D

You could just stick a 135mm wheel in and not think about it like most of us did BITD. Its only 2.5mm either side :|

Sheldon only recommends cold setting if you go up 2 sizes i.e. 120 to 130 or 126 to 135 etc.

Well i've got a NOS XT rear hub (130 spacing) on its way so the wheel build is next...

Cannot find a NOS front to match so i'll use a DX i have lying around.

I've also decided against the modern carbon risers. I'm toying with the idea of a club roost XC or something similar.

Hi! Yes the bike is almost done. Due to budget constraints and personal preference the whole bike is not strictly retro. I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

Back