trying to save a gt sts frame........

zetecmk2

Senior Retro Guru
hello people in my computer, tony ba57ard was going to scrap this lts1 frame. the plastic and fibres had started to separate but the frame had not failed.....yet!
i figured we had nothing to loose :?
i tried a few different products.....including mipa clearcoat, thinned so it would penetrate the fibres before curing, but it was too soft (tested on some spare fibres i got my hands on)

finally settled on glass resin, poured into the frame walls from the inside, and stippled to remove any air. then sanded but left enough material to do the job.
2013-05-23083056_zps38a29199.jpg

let's see how long it lasts!!!
before you all start going on about h&s issues......this is now a shop/pub bike with gentle road only riding. if you are scared of a bike accident....stay indoors!!!

2013-05-23083039_zps91ef446c.jpg

Re: trying to save a gt lts frame........

Just try not to wreck the rear end and shock when it all goes wrong. Still fetch good money from those of us that haven't broken theirs yet.

since it is thermoplastic not carbon fibre... you could try the heat it up and see if it resets. Don't know if this actually works, but a;; the blurb at the time was that with thermoset plastics you could do that.

zetecmk2":yj311czg said:
if you are scared of a bike accident....stay indoors!!!

...or take a good look at what you are riding and replace where necessary?

I have ridden bikes with plenty of cracks or holes in them, it is fine when you know the bike. That should be a very strong bike even with the damage, but you are aware of what you have there. Imagine it got passed on to someone who took it out on a mountain? OK, unlikely in England but you know what I mean!

:)

i like to think that a certain amount of common sense is involved in riding old bikes, cars, even your own skeleton. i seem to have developed a self protection thing as i got older......fear! i know i can do 8' drop off's......but i know i never will again :shock: :shock: :shock:

Some of the early ones were badged lts... Not saying this is one but it sure confuses things

Back