Exposed Seat Post Length - How Much Is Too Much?!

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, I've been offered a beautiful, classic steel frameset but am worried about the aesthetics of too much exposed seat post.

It's a size 58 centre to top and the height of the saddle rails on my other road bikes is 75 meaning that 17cm of seat post will be exposed, too much?

Opinions please.

If that's 17cm from the frame to the saddle rails, then you're probably right on the limit, but just OK - depending on the seatpost. I can't remember the exact measurements, but my caygill is 60cm C-T, and I usually set my saddle at 79cm from the BB, so have about 15cm frame-to-rails on mine. The chorus seatpost is at the limit mark. pics here: viewtopic.php?p=1288057

if you had a longer post you might be OK... that said, unless it was a really really special frame, something that you'd never ever find in the right size, I'd wait until one the right size did come along.

what about TT length? if the frame is too small, you can use a longer seatpost, but if it's too short in the TT then you might find that either you're more cramped up, or a very long stem makes the handling all wrong...

I think 15cm is the ideal, Campagnolo seam to think the same.

My Neo retro Cannondale is perfect at 60x56.5, just love the look of steel.

The wait continues I feel.

Just out of curiosity what was the frame you were thinking about buying..... ? If someone offered me a 70's Skol 6 type Viner track frame I'd probably saw a few inches off each leg :)

Shaun

It was via a PM. It's not super rare but beautifully refinished.

I know in reality it's too small but, like you say, bodily mutilation is always an option!

How's this? (for asthetics only, not practicality)
yay or nay?

Probably irrelevant for small or unusual shaped frames but, might be an okay theory for 'normal' bikes (never mind that the bike in the picture is not exactly normal)

tahkion_geocopy_zps077bdace.jpg

No more than 2/3 of the post should be exposed, assuming the post fitted is the original length specified by the manufacturer. I'm a bit of a heiffer so always fit 400mm posts to my bikes to reduce the leverage at the seat/top tube join.

Back