1988 Overbury's Pioneer

Remember seeing the add for this in 1988 in MBUK magazine, it was the first MTB I lusted after, and never managed to get one.

I've been giving a lot of thought on what to do with this, and I won't be building it up with Exage Mountain.
I've had a better look over the existing Exage bits, and I'm not overly impressed with any of it.
My first MTB was equipped with it, and I remember now why I saved up all summer to buy my MT60 equipped Jamis!
Unless I manage to source a nice MT60, or M730 groupset by the time the frame is ready, then I'll build it up with an MT62 groupset I have (currently fitted to the other halves bike :LOL: ) and then change over as and when something more suitable comes up.
I build my bikes up to be ridden, and I really cant face hunting down a groupset for it that I didn't want in 1988, let alone now!

On the paint front, a friend of mine came over last night to take a look at it. He has 30 years experience working for Porsche as a sprayer, and used to do a lot of pretty impressive work on scooters. He's doing this as a favour to me, so I figure I don't have a lot to loose by seeing how he gets on replicating the original finish.
He's taken the frame to get a paint match, and I'll be hand stripping it when I get it back.
That's all for now :D

It's all been a bit quiet on the Overbury's front...until today!
Having seen the job the chap did who bead blasted my Vit T2 frame, I decided to let him loose on the frame and forks.
He's been snowed under, so it's taken him a while to get around to doing this, but he called me this morning to say it was done?
I was waiting for the 'but I'm not sure you'll want to see it', but that didn't come.
So, I picked it up on my way back from work, and here she is in all her bare metal and fillet braked nakedness :D

As LGF rightly said earlier in the thread, I'm going to have to do some work on the pitted areas, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the rest of it

Structurally that just fine. for the pitting i would go on eBay and get some flux coated 55% sliver brazing rods and a mapp gas torch form B&Q. can you will have them filled in no time :¬)

I found a Mavic oxygen rim with overbury decal on it if you want. i will look to see if i have the pair. and i found a mk1 deore front mech if you want too. all karma if its of uses.

Pete

biglev":3gg871bl said:
Structurally that just fine. for the pitting i would go on eBay and get some flux coated 55% sliver brazing rods and a mapp gas torch form B&Q. can you will have them filled in no time :¬)

I found a Mavic oxygen rim with overbury decal on it if you want. i will look to see if i have the pair. and i found a mk1 deore front mech if you want too. all karma if its of uses.

Pete

Cheers Pete, you're a star!
I'm sill finishing my Vit T2 at the moment, so this will be getting put somewhere nice and dry/warm for a while until I'm ready to carry on with it.
I'd love that Rim please, and even better if you can find the other one :D

It appears that we are at the same stage with our Pioneers! Mine looks largely the same but with slotted guides. Unfortunately the threads on the bb shell are a bit shagged so a previous owner has drilled 3 small allen bolts in the shell to hold the cup in place.
CEC46599-907E-40DE-9A06-03E8248504A3-3237-00000299B1F79C05.jpg

FB62FF00-A9B3-4A0F-A1BE-3572F691C3C6-3237-00000299BFB79D1D.jpg

770ED0A8-7212-40E6-A4D3-1C46C0C93675-3237-00000299C608BDB2.jpg

Sorry for crashing your thread, I must start one for mine.

makster":1bxj0wwz said:
No problem!
Have you decided on paint yet?

Not really no! Can't even decide between a single colour or a more true to the original fade. I'm going to use a local body shop as I'm chuffed to bits with the job they did on my Dekerf.

I'd love to see the results.
It may be a while before mine goes any further.
I need a MAJOR re-think on what bikes I can find space for in my flat. Either that, or I move :roll:

makster":1kcvk766 said:
I'd love to see the results.
It may be a while before mine goes any further.
I need a MAJOR re-think on what bikes I can find space for in my flat. Either that, or I move :roll:

This might be a 'who can do the slowest build' then as I have a couple further up the queue at the moment :LOL:

Back