cheesed off!

I though he was only supplying the cheese, not running the event. Isn't that like saying that if I sell a banana I should be insured against somebody improperly using it? I could buy a cheese and give it to them could I not. What their intention is does not make me liable surely?

The History Man":2hj2vts2 said:
I though he was only supplying the cheese, not running the event. Isn't that like saying that if I sell a banana I should be insured against somebody improperly using it? I could buy a cheese and give it to them could I not. What their intention is does not make me liable surely?

Correct, it’s the 86 year old cheese suppler that is being threatened with liability, not any organiser (as there is none) or the land owner (the local authority).

This is the madness.

To top it off she does not even sell the cheese, they should chase a big Mac and sue Mac Donald’s! Crazy!

Ah, now that's a complex piece of civil law. Just being the supplier of a particular item or service pertinent to the event, doesn't necessarily absolve you of liability, or give boundaries..or ljmits.coukas to where your liabilities may cease. For that you'd need a proper contract, drawn up by solicitors....

...and the £50 to cover your arse insurance wise would probably cost a tenth of that anyway.
"SORRY, I'm just the supplier" won't really cut much ice in court - the limit of the liability need.to be accounted for prior to the event, and participants given reasonable time to understand and agree to those limitations.

Mr Cheese can bitch all he wants, but better to resolve this issue in advance for a piddling sum than resolve it after someone has been seriously injured and lose everything you own over it.

It's such. a simple, sensible and cheap prior precaution and absolutely staggered that someone would whittle over it. Would they prefer to pay £50 today, or £2 million tomorrow? I know which k would prefer, and still up my pennies in advance. 20 years ago I wouldn't have bothered, but 20 years ago ' no win no fee' solicitors werent allowed to hand out business cards in a&e.

Has this guy.been on Mars the last 2 decades? Does he not know hat we've caught the American litigious disease? It may be mad, it may be stupid, but complaining about it won't make it go away, whereas a small insurance premium, or a proper contract made in advance will.

It's modern life. It's wrong, but it's how it is. Wishing otherwise won't make it so.

That's cobblers. Imagine the worst happens and somebody breaks their neck. Love to see the case against the cheese supplier.

Chopper1192":2mjuxmji said:
And just being a supplier to an event absolves that person/organisation or all legal responsibilities because...? Which law would that be then?

Strange but if you went to Tesco and purchased the cheese would Tesco then be liable being the supplier? The have no idea how you would use the cheese.

Ultimate responsibility would rest with the cheese roller in this case as they would deemed to be the organiser.

Carl.

There's no law that gives an automatic limitation of liability.

You either need. a contractual arrangement to limit such liability.

Or you need insurance cover so someone else assumes that liability on your behalf.

Ultimately it would be for a court to decide the boundaries of responsibility an liability, and our courts aren't always famed for making sensible, logical or popular decisions. On top of that, our courts have to answer to Brussels, which further undermines their decision making autonomy.

The whole fact that someone can be held liable for broken arms and legs for simply supply the chases is what makes this crazy!

I have my doubts if this case would stand up in court however the threat that it might is what is being used to deter the suppler. Some would say it’s good advice, so may consider it treating.

We can't deport foreign terrorists to countries where they are wanted for murder by the lawful authorities because of the European legal system, yet you doubt the same legal system would ever make a bizarre ruling about cheese? Eh?

One of the best EU directives:

Last month the EU faced ridicule when it ruled that there was no evidence to suggest that drinking water prevented dehydration.

The EU now prohibits manufacturers of bottled drinking water to label their product with anything that would suggest consumption would fight dehydration.

:mrgreen:

Back