1987 team burner 'barn find'

do not muck around with novice advices go straight to the top ...

JULIAN T..bmxrewind .com

i suggest you take it to your attic and forget there....as is ....not a touch as it will be its un- doing...or b-

find a sports muesum and donate it .....as they will give it its full dues .........

im sure you seen raiders of the lost arc .....then thats how it should be treated......

julian = raleigh.....end of story..

you red correct .....

DONT touch it .........................................or b- see julian as ONLY he will advice you in raleigh ....nobody comes even in his league..........

wazza aust = mongoose
julian t = raleigh
snap = customs

Dirk = hutch etcetc.....nobody comes even close !

in my hundreds built .....even thousands miles away .....even i know to say it ....see julian tuff..first..

It'll be poetry next! Nice old bike though. I vote clean it up and leave it careworn original condition.

if a member here found a DB7 in a barn ...original state would it be a Site vote in slapping it up?

would the member think he be a legend himself and throw a spanner at it...?

would he think that his skills be as that compare to DB7 factory ?

would he think twice in contacting DB7 mechanics and pay them to repair it with genuine components .

even so removing its factory pittina in itself historic vandalism !..

So listen real good from the largest builder in here .....leave it be .......wrap it ,hide it forget it and give it to your kids as history of UK ONLY delight as ammaco mongoose mean sweet bugger all....Julian may assit those whom wish to take the high road in genuine items however as stated by me even its pittina is its money ....its lasted 30 years that ought to say everything

$1000.00 bet says even powder oven temperature or caustic temp or chrome ph is not even known by all bmx members even to " legends " then hows one going to take it on and give the bike its full dues ....as these trades above wouldn't give a toss about a old bike !

I'm very confused.

I took this thing out its original raleigh box in 1987 and put it together and rode it down the street.
I was 11 years old.
It's a bike.
It's not Saturn V.

Over the last 18 years its sat in sheds and garages and the grease has hardened and the chrome has deteriorated. In my opinion giving the paint some well deserved attention with G3 compound and a hard wax is not destroying history, its preservation. Conservation even. I won't be touching up any areas of paint as I originally planned, its just not needed.

Dismantling, cleaning and replacing grease in simple cup and cone bearings is something I've been doing since I was a kid. This bike needs it doing. The original grease is now like wax. There is hardly any wear but there will be if the grease isn't replaced.

The chrome will only get worse if the rust isn't removed then a light polish and a coat of wax applied. No rechroming will take place, I can't afford or justify it and its simply not necessary in my opinion.

The original tyres will keep. They've cleaned up well and hold air. If I ever use it in earnest (unlikely) ill stick some new ones on and put the originals away in the garage.

Put simply the only original parts thy will get replaced are the pads and the front brake cable. For the simple reason that they are missing.

I'm not quite sure why I'm justifying myself really? I'm the original owner of a bike in survivor condition giving it a wash, polish and service after 26 years of ownership.

This threads gone weird.

Back