This week I'll mostly be...

We buy a lot of stuff from Aldi and it's not bad at all. Though for other stuff we do prefer the other supermarkets or branded stuff. So far I have found that none of the brown sauces are anything like as good as Daddies or HP, but that's about it, everything else is just as good.

Carl.

Isaac_AG":1tmnhoij said:
Buying branded products from the supermarket, it does cost a lot but I feel safer doing so. Last week, I have Tesco deliver, I ordered Tesco everyday value digestives for my daughter to make cheesecake at school, I ate some of the rest, they weren't half bad :shock: I wonder what else that is not branded but is still edible, I know dirt cheap paster is awful.

Do you find that shops own is OK, and what about their real bargain ranges?

Alison

Never had major problems with cheap own-brand stuff, the only 2 exceptions I can think of are Asda Smartprice English mustard (watery) and digestive biscuits (bland as hell). In contrast, the Sainsbury's Basics digestives are severely moreish :). The Basics pickled onions are good value too and go nicely with a cheese sandwich. For the keen bakers out there, Everyday Essentials sultanas from Aldi are every bit as good as their more expensive rivals for cakes, biscuits or even just adding to the morning bowl of cereal. Speaking of cereals, I'm also a big fan of the Everyday Essentials "Weetabix-equivalents".

David

Chopper1192":1dqqnkyo said:
And shop brand coffee something I can't stand.

I once tried Morrison's own coffee, never again erghh! my sister took it back, I'm a coward, and got twice the size jar of Nescafe as a replacement.

Alison

Isaac_AG":3jog03n1 said:
I know dirt cheap paster is awful.
Alison
This one then :?:
zorba_paster_on_your_health.jpg

news_images.show

Never trust a man with a moustache, Alison......even if he is a doctor ;)

Hardly ever buy brand labels, the supermarkets own "I either can't tell the difference or don't care" range is fine, I buy the cheapest washing up liquid, shampoo, shower gel, kitchen cleaner etc. I can find. With regard to food, I buy very little processed food, just ingredients, meat, fish, eggs, veg etc. so I couldn't tell the difference between Kellog's cornflakes, Heinz ketchup and all that sort of stuff and anyone else's.

But definitely not own label instant coffee, tried Tesco's and Morrison's - eeeeeeeyuk! Undrinkable!

xerxes":3fa9zhli said:
Hardly ever buy brand labels, the supermarkets own "I either can't tell the difference or don't care" range is fine, I buy the cheapest washing up liquid, shampoo, shower gel, kitchen cleaner etc. I can find. With regard to food, I buy very little processed food, just ingredients, meat, fish, eggs, veg etc. so I couldn't tell the difference between Kellog's cornflakes, Heinz ketchup and all that sort of stuff and anyone else's.

But definitely not own label instant coffee, tried Tesco's and Morrison's - eeeeeeeyuk! Undrinkable!

All my toiletries are all brand names, I'm not sure I could ever convince my hubby to buy anything but Original Source Shower Gel, and I love simple soap. Cream cleaner is always shops own, we tend to bulk buy our toiletries when on offer though.

I don't buy much in the way of processed foods either, I cook just about everything from scratch, which really winds me up when the children refuse to eat it :( I don't make my own sausages though and I am partial to the odd baked bean :)

Alison

Andy R":8ar8b8rp said:
Isaac_AG":8ar8b8rp said:
I know dirt cheap paster is awful.
Alison
This one then :?:
zorba_paster_on_your_health.jpg

news_images.show

Never trust a man with a moustache, Alison......even if he is a doctor ;)

:LOL: :LOL:

I'd be worried if my doctor had a moustache, I'm sure she shaves it :D

Alison

Anyway, where does the modern child get this, "I don't like it" "I don't like it" at practically every mealtime :( I try so hard. I hate to say it but when I was a child I loved everything my mum cooked, she was the greatest and we ate everything, OK her first attempts at curry left something to be desired :roll: but she learned.

Alison

I cook just about everything from scratch

Me too, and if I'm not sure what ingredients I need, I'll look the ingredients on the back of a ready-meal packet and just leave out all the stuff that is an E number or sounds like it comes from a chemist. :D

Back