UK trail bike. The story of an XCT5.

I like the red better, it has to be red, foes are red.

While the bike is in pieces, I am going to give everything a thorough clean, and service some bits. The rest of the bike is new, or nearly new. But it has had a hard couple of months, and the reverb was starting to lose air during the course of a ride.

On the right is one of the air seals, I found the torn away piece in the lower so it had been squeezed past the top out bumper. This was possibly a fault in assembly, as it would have been a tight squeeze.
On the left is a 10mm spacer I machined, to reduce the available travel to 115mm. Works perfectly.

And all clean, ready for reassembly. No more difficult to service than a pair of air forks, really glad I bought the tools and did it myself.

This isn't a proper update, as the bike is pretty much fully built. The LBS has ordered me a set of Hope brakes, just waiting for them to come in.

The frame was treated to a new set of bearings all round, seemed daft to put the old ones in even tho they felt ok. To help fit the main pivot bearings, i made a tool to draw them in, rather than belting them with le hammer.

I also picked up a decal kit from ebay, tho not technically the correct set as they are for a 4x, its close enough and crucially half the price of retail.... They look perfect fitted, tho I don't have a pic handy.

I sold the Renthal bars I was using, TBH hated the feel of them. Having ridden a few bikes with Burgtec bars, I was pretty happy to be donated a pair as the bend on them is really comfortable.

These were taken to be bead blasted to remove the anodising, and promptly powder coated white. :)

Proper update this weekend.

Mini-mini update, regarding a titanium spring. This:-

turned up on ebay a few weeks ago, attached to a broken 4x frame. I enquired with the seller about the spring rate, and he had it measured, the result was 450lb. Having made an offer for the shock only, we made a deal. It arrived this morning, and I popped over to my local suspension tuner, who I know very well, and used one of his tools to double check the rate.

The rate is exactly 450lb, which is surprising as a spring labelled '450' can usually measure anywhere between about 440-460. It is now fitted to the bike, and I am going to collect the brakes from the shop tomorrow.

I was also interested in buying the shock as it is XTD version, and I wanted to see if I could use the parts on this bike.

Upon stripping the shock, i was horrified to see the state of the oil. Not only was it black, but it was v smelly.

Although smelly oil isn't usually anything to worry about, black oil is. Something was worn inside and was depositing aluminium in the oil.Turns out the piston glide ring was completely worn, as was the piston oring, so the piston itself was rubbing on the shock body.

So much so that I assume the bearings were worn in the frame, and putting huge side loads on the shock. The shock bushes however feel brand new.

So, the shock stripped.

In no hurry to put it back together, I may get some parts made so that I can use this shock in the xtc, but I think it will be easiest to contact Foes to get the correct parts as spares, rather than make them. I would like to try a xtd shock, as the architecture is much more complicated inside, and I think the feel would be very different.

In the finish, the spring coming off is 444g, the ti spring going in is 230g. Happy, me.

The state if that oil is shocking (no pun intended).

Looking forward to see the bike built back up again.

Finished.

The bars refinished in white powder coat, to match the forks.

The ti spring fitted, and the dropper guide cleaned up and polished.

2x10 gear fitted now.

Profile shot.

Brake rotors are 203mm front, and 183mm rear, i like the power and balance this combination affords. The chainstay protector is simply neoprene sheet, 3mm I think, with self adhesive backing. I have never tried it before in this application, time will tell if it is effective or not.

Very happy with the outcome, should get out on it on Monday and/or Tuesday.

:)

That looks really really ace.

Bet you can't wait to get out on it. Got to say that the dropper guide is my favourite thing on that bike, it's just so bloody neat.

Back