Olmo track frame? Genuine? Any other info? Thanks

PaddyODawes

Retro Newbie
Bought this Olmo track bike off ebay, and I was a bit surprised by the weight - about 2600g, naked frame: no forks, headset or BB.

It looks like quite a nice frame, with some good (if unremarkable) lugwork, and it has a serial number, which argues pretty strongly against it being a nothing frame. And I find it hard to believe anyone would go to the trouble of scraping it up to that extent and adding 'beat-up' decals (the ones on the downtube are pretty much scraped off, tho' enough's still there to make them look genuine). I asked about it on Cyclechat, and people say track bikes do tend to be heavier than road bikes (especially old steel ones), but that if I wanted a knowledgeable response, I should come here - so here I came.

If anyone can shed any light, I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• olmo1.jpg
    olmo1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 439
  • olmo2.jpg
    olmo2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 439
  • olmo3.jpg
    olmo3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 439
  • olmo4.jpg
    olmo4.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 439
  • olmo5.jpg
    olmo5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 439
Welcome to the forum

that one decal looks legit, I would like to see a few more pics like a overall and maybe the head tube and lugs. I have a 1959 Olmo (thou yours appears newer) so I may be of some help.

Steven

Thanks very much for getting back to me. Do these help?

Does the weight sound right to you?

If any more pics would help, let me know & I'll post 'em up.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• olmo6.jpg
    olmo6.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 413
  • olmo7.jpg
    olmo7.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 413
A track frame of that size with that hefty rear end would quite possibly be heavier than an equivalent road frame. Add the possibility of it being built with a thicker walled down tube to help reduce twisting forces while sprinting then even more so.

Thanks - I live and (sometimes) learn! Very interesting. Does sound increasingly like it is the real McCoy...I'm really looking forward to seeing how it rides.

The style of lug work is pretty common for 60s Italian bikes but that is little help in determining if it is an Olmo. My Olmo frame is a little older and the serial number is not under the bottom bracket but behind the seat lug. It is however a similar pattern, 2 letters followed by 3 numbers. I would be inclined to agree with you original assumption, that is is nlikly that someone would fake these graphics as they look to be quite old. But anything is possible.

Steven

Back