A Gios Torino Super Record from 80s Photos part 1

Super super job, it's the condition of both frame & components that makes your bike stand-out - it really is lovely. I've got one of the rear mech's in a box somewhere, some real attention to small details and function - it's a quirky bit of kit but as the other posts have said, it works brilliantly on your bike. Very impressive indeed

FINNEY1973":13f5a3wo said:
Super super job, it's the condition of both frame & components that makes your bike stand-out - it really is lovely. I've got one of the rear mech's in a box somewhere, some real attention to small details and function - it's a quirky bit of kit but as the other posts have said, it works brilliantly on your bike. Very impressive indeed

Thank You for your lovely comments Finney, its very much appreciated.

Chris

stringfellow1946":3olusg38 said:
FINNEY1973":3olusg38 said:

Thank You for your lovely comments Finney, its very much appreciated.

Chris

I do enjoy seeing bikes and their owners who take such good care of a build and all your bikes are in A1 condition - can I ask, do you have all these components / groupsets etc to hand or do you spend (what I assume would be) significant time sourcing them? The 7300 must have taken some time to compile bit by bit and again, everything looks tip-top condition.

[/quote]

I do enjoy seeing bikes and their owners who take such good care of a build and all your bikes are in A1 condition - can I ask, do you have all these components / groupsets etc to hand or do you spend (what I assume would be) significant time sourcing them? The 7300 must have taken some time to compile bit by bit and again, everything looks tip-top condition.[/quote]

I normally decide which bike/frame I want & then I will start to source the parts for the groupset I intend to use on it. If its a team bike replica then it will be what ever that particular team used at the time. I do continually run search's on the internet for parts all the time & if I see something thats unmolested (not had the life polished out of it) & at a good price I will normally buy it weather its Shimano, Campagnolo or Mavic regardless of weather I need it at that particular moment in time or not.
I also ran a bike shop for years & know who I sold a lot of the older equipment to so I always contact them first to see if they anything that I need. I also have a lot of connections in the trade as well.
Re the 7300 Dura Ace its all NOS apart from the hubs even the cassette in NOS it took me about 12 months to find the parts at something approaching a realistic price.
With the last 5 rebuilds I've not bothered to fit any Tubs as they never ever get ridden. I never bother to fit the original make of chains I always use KMC chains now with the easy joining link.
I don't think any of my team replica bikes are 100% correct for Two reasons. 1, they tended to change things from race to race as sometimes sponsors would only come on for one particular race in their own country. & 2 the riders back in the 70's & 80's had a lot more freedom regarding what pedals & saddles they could use.
So basically I use what I want, as I think its very very important to preserve some of the more unusual group sets, hence the GIOS/Dura Ace 7300 combination. Like I said every man & his dog uses Super Record, C-Record with Deltas & Dura-Ace 7400, 7410 etc.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Gios

Chris

Your blessed with that fine commodity 'patience' then - 12 months isn't to be sniffed at as once your into your purchases that last elusive piece could be the cause of some frustration! however, it seems you have a great advantage with your contact list. Totally agree on the preservation aspect, especially when it's all in such glorious condition.

Very much enjoyed this thread, fantastic bike and I am certainly looking forward to your Vitus 9 tube thread, whenever that may be.

FINNEY1973":bgrj13ec said:
Very much enjoyed this thread, fantastic bike and I am certainly looking forward to your Vitus 9 tube thread, whenever that may be.
The 9 tube Vitus is done I thought I had posed photo's if not then I will later tonight.

Chris

Very Special combination! And timely correct, to my Knowledge the Silver coins where only Build up between '80 and '83. '84 And up the coins were Gold. Go for l'eroica with it And Share some pics of the Purists faces :D

That's Horrible, really Horrible! So Horrible that I think you should pack it all up and send it to me so I can dispose of it for you! :LOL:

Only kidding of course! I love your choice of groupset. As much as I love Campag I went for a complete Shimano EX Arabesque groupset on my Pat Rohan and it all rides perfectly and looks beautiful. I also have an almost complete AX groupset I intend to use on something one day.

Congratulations on a great bike!

Steve.

Way more unique than the standard route with campy parts.

Compliments on this fantastic nice bike and for the guts in using this group.

It looks incredibly nice.

Thank you to everyone that has made such kind comments about the GIOS & the choice of Dura-Ace AX Groupset. To be honest I was expecting a bit of a flack. I'd had the AX group for ages & was just waiting for the right frame to come along to complement it & when I saw a GIOS I thought YEA!! this is a match made in heaven, (plus I wanted a GIOS for my Collection anyway) a Blue Bike that would show the off the groupset perfectly being as the groupset has the AX lettering on it in Blue. Then it was a question of waiting for the right GIOS to become available. I missed one on here that went for £300 (if I remember correctly) by a couple of hours. Then for the next 12 months or so only the newer GIOS Evolution frames came up for sale, but I needed the much older Torino with the gear cables over the top of the BB & I finally got hold of this one in Germany. The bike does look far better in the flesh than in the photos, & well worth the wait in my opinion.
I'm now on to my next couple of rebuilds a
Colnago Master Low Pro
A, SB numbered 753 TI-Raleigh.

Back