Imagine my horror - cracking Magura fork

Just my two penneth, but those bolts don't seem to be parallel, if you pulled them up then it would put undue stress on the mounts.

I've been wrenching on and off for over 20 years and manage a workshop, and I've never seen post mounts crack like that. The threads always pull out instead.

Which is why I'm still inclined to think that the cracks have propagated from a casting defect.

Well, some progress. Winstanleys has been pretty good after a bit of proddding and has contacted Magura UK. All parties have agreed that I can send back just the sliders for inspection. That's great for me as I can just the sliders from my other, older Thor and so can carry on using the fork. We'll see what happens. I also had a chat with a chap at Zyro (now UK Magura distributor) who was very friendly.

All I can say regarding the cause of the cracks is that I didn't overtigthen the bolts. I can't prove it, but there you go.

The idea that the calliper has taken a whack on the side doesn't stack up either. The calliper is unmarked, straight and is anyway well protected by the fork leg.

I have been using Magura products for 15 years from the early rim brakes through to the current stuff. I've never had a problem with any of it until these cracks appeared.

Thanks again for the responses.

Rich

Glad to hear that some progress has been made and hopefully you'll get a new set of sliders.

It's tough when stuff like this happens; you know you've done everything right with regards to torquing the bolts up correctly etc and you get blamed for it breaking.

Right people - some good news.

After a fair bit of wrangling Zyro, now Magura UK Importers, have offered me a new set of sliders for the cost of postage (£8.99). It's only taken about three months and a fair bit of persistence. Both Winstanleys and Magura, having examined the old sliers, are still blaming me for overtightening the bolts - which I still deny - but the outcome is good enough for me.

Thanks again for the helpful advice and comments. I'm sure I wouldn't have persisted if there weren't a fair few people who thought I should fight my corner.

wynne":j6s1y6fi said:
Both Winstanleys and Magura, having examined the old sliders, are still blaming me for overtightening the bolts - which I still deny - but the outcome is good enough for me.

Firstly - A great result, well done :D

Secondly - It always makes me chuckle when companies still don't accept responsibility for something. The fact that they're offering you a brand new set of sliders for 9 quid says to me that they had acknowledged that the sliders you sent back were defective, but they didn't want to tell you and, because you couldn't prove that you didn't overtighten the bolts, they just chose to stick with blaming you and offering the sliders as a "gesture of goodwill" instead. What a crock!

Still, like you say, the end result was the right one :)

Latest posts

Back