Frame weights .... Good weight for a steel MTB frame?

My 19 C-T Axis R comes in at 24.9lb built, with M737/9 groupo, M785 pedals, Flite ti, X-Lite seatpin, Judy SLs and hope ti/Mavic X517s. It is a great ride. My 19 C-T Axis (same frame) comes in at 23.5lb built, and is 99% factory spec, so M737, tripple butted forks, Weinmann rims. Great ride too.

I have a 94 garyfisher. Forget the name but its near the bottom of the range and thats bang on 5lb

Agree its more on how its built.

Pretty sure my old e stay saracen was something like 6 1/2?!

The relevance of a light frame is much more about its ride qualities and feel than its contribution to bike-weight.

A light frame doesn't have to be a wet noodle at all, my Breezer weighs about 4lbs and gives a lovely supple ride, not the least bit wimpy - it all depends on tube profiles, diameters, construction and design. I've ridden much heavier frames that flexed every which way.

Chopper1192":xbehnjig said:
But then it's meaningless if it's more limp than Larry Graysons wrist.

Add a couple of water bottles, eat a couple of pies, and the whole weight issue becomes even more meaningless!

ferrus":22p35k7j said:
The relevance of a light frame is much more about its ride qualities and feel than its contribution to bike-weight.

A light frame doesn't have to be a wet noodle at all, my Breezer weighs about 4lbs and gives a lovely supple ride, not the least bit wimpy - it all depends on tube profiles, diameters, construction and design. I've ridden much heavier frames that flexed every which way.

4lbs is incredibly light, what is that made from?

I chose my Zaskar all those years ago because it rode better for than the Prestige I'd borrowed, nowt has changed much - I'm still a bulky lump trying to ride a bicycle - super lightweight frames still feel like dry spaghetti. All my 'light' steel has gone with just the sturdy remaining.

highlandsflyer":calc1cbh said:
ferrus":calc1cbh said:

4lbs is incredibly light, what is that made from?
Just over 4lbs I think, it uses Breeze's 'D-Fusion' tubing, a heat-treated 4130 set iirc made by Hodaka to Joe's Spec's.

Back