Capital punishment

Isaac_AG":25oo9kej said:
So many people, whether they be common thieves or murderers, try all they can to appeal against their sentence, sometimes years after imprisonment, it can't be that comfortable and pleasant or they'd be people committing horrible offences just to get the bed and breakfast on offer, sorry to be so flippant. To be honest I'd prefer a lifetime of unpleasantness on the outside and have my freedom than a lifetime on the inside however cushy it seems to people in general.

Alison

Yes & I think it should be made a whole lot more unappealing too. 'Dickensian work house' springs to mind :twisted:

saulus":26p5csct said:
Isaac_AG":26p5csct said:
So many people, whether they be common thieves or murderers, try all they can to appeal against their sentence, sometimes years after imprisonment, it can't be that comfortable and pleasant or they'd be people committing horrible offences just to get the bed and breakfast on offer, sorry to be so flippant. To be honest I'd prefer a lifetime of unpleasantness on the outside and have my freedom than a lifetime on the inside however cushy it seems to people in general.

Alison

Yes & I think it should be made a whole lot more unappealing too. 'Dickensian work house' springs to mind :twisted:

Absolutely, the more hell the better I say :D

Alison

hamster":235tvyuh said:
Name three countries with the death penalty and high standards of justice...

If the death penalty works, why is our murder rate only 20% of the USA's?

High availability of personal defence weapons.
High availability of personal defence weapons for the last 200 years so you can imagine theres a fair amount kicking about.

If only the Americans had possessed a crystal ball and froze the right to bear arms on 18th century weaponry.
Bit difficult to go on a shooting spree if you need at least 30 seconds to recharge your musket and then only if its a dry day otherwise you powder would have got damp.
Being that the USA is possibly the most Christian country in the world which is supposed to teach forgiveness and good will, that the private citizen and their authorities are equally enthusiastic to kill, kill, kill........sad.

There is an argument that gun control actually increased the crime rate in some US states. Quite interesting what is going on over there...

Remote Scottish island. No support. No food. SBS patrolling the waters.

Let them suffer and die, or take a risk and die. Either way they die.

The death penalty might not deter everyone but it will deter some and those it doesn't will be dead. Which is better than what we have now, which clearly isn't working.

Terrorists, child killers and paedos deserve much worse than our prison system offers.

I don't think the death sentence will ever be a deterrent, just as prison isn't, as I don't think that people who commit these atrocities are in any way normal, they are either psychologically disturbed or have been brought up in such away that they have no respect for authority and other people; either way they have a very heightened self opinion and think of themselves as invincible. What you do putting people in prison is take them out of mainstream society, prisons don't even consider themselves as reformers of their inmates, just a holding tank.

I don't think introducing the death sentence would solve anything, it will just lead to apologies to the families of the innocent people that are executed, a cheap way of dealing with societies ills. Yes put them on the remote Scottish island.

Alison

Isaac_AG":14c98g44 said:
I don't think introducing the death sentence would solve anything, it will just lead to apologies to the families of the innocent people that are executed, a cheap way of dealing with societies ills. Yes put them on the remote Scottish island.
That's the beauty of it. A shitty wee island is a death sentence, literally. And it's a cheap one.

Personally I'd rather public stoning but I doubt RB is ready for that.

technodup":l52saohd said:
Isaac_AG":l52saohd said:
That's the beauty of it. A shitty wee island is a death sentence, literally. And it's a cheap one.

Personally I'd rather public stoning but I doubt RB is ready for that.

Would that be men only onlookers, with women sneaking in dressed in beards, "Are there any women here today" "No, no no" and a stall selling stones at the entrance :D

Alison

Back