xtr hub or not

Can you find a date stamp and take more pictures and Deore XT did have the longer taper from the drive side flange to the 'bulge'
So I would guess it was not, as now I'm not in a rush. DX has a similar look to to LX not the XT.
It is very easy to rule out/in XTR as the bearing cover as mention screwed in.

I'm talking FH-M732

the bearing cover section is not threaded on the non drive side so it rules out xtr..
but its not xt either.

this is the shape of a XT Hub.

http://hilarystone.com/images/sale%20im ... XT-36H.jpg

the xtr is a different shape.
the non drive side of the xtr hub is also longer (outside of the spoke flange) and shaped differently.

im thinking this is probably a road hub based on the same casting as the xtr unit.

if you check the pic above the XT and LX i have posted a pic of are the same shape.

I said M732(7speed) not the M730 (6speed) you are picturing.

black version
hubs_shimano_fh_m732_135_32_black_000.jpg

silver version
1341507935_FH-M732_NK_3.jpg

thats more possible.. that type of xt has the screw in cap though??
from the look of the grease cap it has pin spanner holes like the xtr.. sadly my hub has not got this.
hence im still thinking it may be a road hub with more basic seals.

how wide are the spoke flanges on m732.

i know i remember reading spec info on the xtr hubs many years ago, they made them a different shape because of the increased loads from the 8 speed freehubs.
presume that same casting change was passed on to the later XT.

i found the 8speed xtr cassett that was on it earlier. ally spider and with cogs fitted with tiny little screws.

I'll go with xt 732 which has had an 8 speed freehub fitted at some point. Not sure on it being a road hub as my knowledge of them is sparse by comparison to Mountain bike stuff but i would imagine they would be smoother or more Aero and not so chunky.

The M732 is a clip/push in bearing cover, the holes are grease injection ports (or places for mud to clog up)
M732 came before M900.

Have you actually checked to see if it is an 8 speed freehub body ?

Have you found the date code (might be on a flange.

I have little idea of road hubs, but I think they would just use the same things and rebadge them anyway but target with 130 OLN's :LOL:

Is that FH-M550 LX a 130 OLN hub ? That would account for narrower flanges.

the free hub on the "unknown" hub has a 7 speed i stuck on it the other day, took the 8 speed off for a complete wheel..
was a right pain in the arse getting the freehub off when its not built into a wheel
soft jaws in the vice and give that alen key a good old wack.. ;)

yes the lx is a 550

the "unknown" has "OK" Stamped into a space between the holes on the flanges.
just found it.. its almost polished out.

i had a phase of polishing everything because i was given a polishing machine.
have a fully polished original xt mech somewhere..
the things you do at 15..lol..

still have the polisher......hhmmmmm got me thinking... super shiny dx cranks.... a job for next week.

It's a 1991 model year hub then (though could be sold later of course)

It dates it as Nov 1990.

It means you put the 8 speed freehub on if XT m732. Hyperdrive-c style or the hg/ug style free hub? If you still have it.

the free hub is on a bike now.. thats being used..

i do have a brand new one on a basic spec 8 speed paralax hub.
that should still work ok with it?
i was going to stick all of the more modern seals that are corrently retrofitted to the LX hub on it.

Back