Magura cyclocross brakes

Magura cyclo-cross brakes

I think Magura HS66 and HS77 brakes didn't take off because they came out just as we all changed over to 'brifters' so we were uninterested in road/cross hydraulics without shifters in the deal too. Now however something has changed; electronic shifting such as Di2 can be at your finger tips without being integrated into the shifters (see Di2 'sprint' shifters).
So I'm starting a project 'cross bike with 1999 Magura HS77 levers mated to pre 2008 Julie disc callipers and with a homemade set of shift buttons controlling a 10 speed Dura Ace rear mech and single front ring. The frame will be a custom titanium Vantuyl and I'll try to keep the rest of the spec good and high too. I hope it will be a good mash up of retro kit and some bleeding edge stuff. Pictures to follow on finishing.

the main problem of HS66 is that they're great for touring or MTBing on dry paths, but they pack up with mud quite quickly.

What astounds me with trying to mate a STI with hydraulic disk brakes is they have all taken the route to make
a monstrous fugly conversion thingy at the cockpit. Why not use wire cables all the way to the caliper like a BB7
and then have the reservoir and gubbins there instead? I'm sure it would be tidier, more compact, better weight
distribution and still offer more than sufficient "effortless" breaking.

...now goes off to patent the idea. ;-)

Back