Radial lacing

tigern

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Can i lace these Ringle hubs in a radial pattern? They are 32h, weight of the rider is :oops:95kg :oops:

I won't ride these wheels hard off road, but will be used on the road. Rims will be Mavic X517 with DT Swiss revolution spokes.

What makes a hub suitable for radial lacing? The thickness of the flange?

Attachments

• Ringle.jpg
    Ringle.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 417
You could do a radial laced front wheel with that hub, but it wouldn't be my 1st choice of pattern, personally I'm not keen on radial lacing on "boutique" hubs simply because the chances of the hub cracking/failing at the flange are generally higher what with the high stresses at he hub flange and the lightweight/CNC'd/milled hub flange.

Nice hub, but for me I'd stick with 3-cross.

I agree with the above.......milled down boutique hubs would need 3x spoke pattern to avoid cracking, especially if like me your a bigg'un!...

I built a radial set around a set of 730 xt hubs......thrashed them for years without any issue!.....

And I am a slut for a radial front wheel.......they were a statement amongst mediocre bikes in the 90's and look brilliant in the sunshine!.....

gtRTSdh":1ufn4zx3 said:
ringle & radial = cracks (best case)

+1

I refused to build them when I worked in a bike shop BITD....you knew the same person would be back through the door soon enough carrying a hand full of spokes :(

To illustrate a point this was my "Boutique" NOS 93 TNT hub built last year - This is 2 cross and with slighly less tension than i would build normally.....still only lasted a couple of weeks.

edit: Just realised...Are they the ones I sold to you ? :D

Attachments

• tick tick boom.JPG
    tick tick boom.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 281
Back