New Powdercoat with Issues - how to remove excess paint?

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So my frame has come back with numerous issues and the powdercoaters wont do a thing about it.

Happy to remove paint from the bottom bracket using nitromors and being really careful..

But how do I remove that massive blob on the rear brake boss without running into the rest of the paint? Cut off what I can with a stanley knife and sand the rest smooth?

So p**sed off with them.

And weird paint blob on clamp of stem...

Honestly, there are so many shite powdercoaters out there.....
Its the industrial mindset of "just slap it on, nice and thick"

There is no finess in the vast majority of powdercoaters.

My suggestions pretty much reflect your thoughts.... minus shoving it up their arse until they offer a refund

G

unkleGsif":1epqwp6w said:
Honestly, there are so many shite powdercoaters out there.....
Its the industrial mindset of "just slap it on, nice and thick"

There is no finess in the vast majority of powdercoaters.

My suggestions pretty much reflect your thoughts.... minus shoving it up their arse until they offer a refund

G

Thanks,

He said they deal with 1000s of items and that means there are always going to be issues. It's not that there is a problem, it's that they wont do a thing to rectify it or re-imburse me for having to correct it myself. :roll:

If it's powdercoat i'm not sure nitromoors will remove it. the bb needs cleaning with a tap really. The brake boss- cut around with an stanley knife and dress with a file/emery paper as best you can - loks a bit pants on the boss/stay braze on it's self tough.

The stem appears to have the remnants of powdercoat from where they may have hung it up via the clamp bolt hole. more so the fact the inside of the bar clamp its self meaning bars will be a PITA to fit.

That coat is way too thick in places and not thick enough in others. You can almost see the metal on the end of the lugs, also variations in colour on the seatstays indicate that it wasn't applied evenly.

Get it sandblasted and done again by a powdercoater who understands bikes and respects their specific needs (extra coat around the lugs, proper thread protection, etc). Also, make sure you tell us which ****tard did this, so that other members won't make the same mistake.

Thats such a lazy arse attitude for them to have...

We powdercoat thousands of things at work each year, and probably only have 1 or 2 items that need attention per year, and even then its more often than not due to the powder (faults with the powder supply meaning a sign fascia isnt quite the right shade), rather than the application or skill

G

Bullpup":2dygp6lu said:
Did you pay by credit card - if so ask for the charge be reversed.

I would have done but I paid cash
:facepalm:

taffy":2dygp6lu said:
If it's powdercoat i'm not sure nitromoors will remove it. the bb needs cleaning with a tap really. The brake boss- cut around with an stanley knife and dress with a file/emery paper as best you can - loks a bit pants on the boss/stay braze on it's self tough.

The stem appears to have the remnants of powdercoat from where they may have hung it up via the clamp bolt hole. more so the fact the inside of the bar clamp its self meaning bars will be a PITA to fit.

I can put some emery cloth on some dowel wood and remove most of the paint on the inside of the stem I reckon. You are right, the paint in the clamp looks like it's from a blanking bolt or something, I should be ok to cut the lump bit off, the rest should be ok there as it wont be clamped tight enough to come together if that makes sense.

I have nitromors, emery cloth and patience, I think I will try on the paint that is easiest to remove (i.e. on the bottom of the stem (not in the pictures)) and see how that goes about removing the paint and go from there.

You live and learn.

coomber":3p4t7w14 said:
He said they deal with 1000s of items and that means there are always going to be issues. It's not that there is a problem, it's that they wont do a thing to rectify it or re-imburse me for having to correct it myself. :roll:

Thats such a lazy arse attitude for them to have... :evil:

We powdercoat thousands of things at work each year, and probably only have 1 or 2 items that need attention per year, and even then its more often than not due to the powder (faults with the powder supply meaning a sign fascia isnt quite the right shade), rather than the application or skill

G

Raging_Bulls":7k6xg9a7 said:
That coat is way too thick in places and not thick enough in others. You can almost see the metal on the end of the lugs, also variations in colour on the seatstays indicate that it wasn't applied evenly.

Get it sandblasted and done again by a powdercoater who understands bikes and respects their specific needs (extra coat around the lugs, proper thread protection, etc). Also, make sure you tell us which ****tard did this, so that other members won't make the same mistake.

Completely agree, but for the cost, I would end up spending more again and this is really trying to be a budget build. Maybe 5 years down the line if I decide this is a keeper, I will get it re-done again.

I don't like to name and shame, but I wont ever use them again and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They are ICS Powdercoaters in Collumpton, Devon:

http://www.industrialcoatingsupplies.co.uk/

Back