Wookiee's 1997 Mount Vision...

Wold Ranger":1xvzgo6u said:
Had one of these and raced it BITD, great ride and tended to give you more confidence than the suspension could cope with, so many cracked through over enthusiasm.
They also had a nasty habit of throwing you over the bars over undulating tracks, as the forks compressed and the rear rebounded. They work far better with longer travel forks, 100mm plus.

Hmmm interesting I had a 1997 quake with 120mm travel forks which were modern Rock Shox and liked the ride on that...but was cautios with the Mount Vision with changing the geometry too much!

Riiiight so here I go again! Starting another dream build that I hope I have deep enough pockets to finish! I have decided that I want the groupset to be M950 XTR....so far have sorted out a set of M950 v brakes. Also a nice set of wheels, M950 hubs on Mavic black ceramic X517 rims with an 8 speed M950 cassette and matching XTR skewers! Need to find some M950 STI's and a long or medium cage rear mech. The thing is I don't really like the M950 crankset...so what would be the alternatives?? I don't like the M739 XT crankset either!! Call me a fussy bugger but a bad era for Shimano crankset's in my opinion...so not sure what to go for, an older M737 XT crankset? Or something more "boutique"!

As far as front mech goes I think its going to be a better condition M739 one as I can't justify XTR on the front mech as I really don't think they perform any better than XT.

So the other questions for me are...what rear shock and what fork? I would like an air shock on the rear but not sure what to go for, Fox seem top of the list. Do I go for something period or something with propedal/lockout etc like an RP23? For the forks it seems to be coming down to one of the following. Either Pace R35's, Marzocchi Z2 Bombers or some more modern Rock Shox SID. Still unsure....

...Oh and I just bought another Mount Vision!! :facepalm: Albeit a 1999 that is a 19" C2C, as the current one is 17.5" C2C. I will probably use the stem and bars from the 99 and possibly other bits but mainly to see if the 19" is a better fit than the 17.5". The rear shock from the 1999 might be ok also a Fox air vanilla R. And the front forks are Manitou SX Ti which may be worth having aswell...

Geez thats 6 Marins in the Garage right now as I just got a 1991 Eldridge for Mrs Wookiee too! :eek:

Any help or guidance as always listened to and appreciated!

Doug

wookiee":2034ymkk said:
The thing is I don't really like the M950 crankset...so what would be the alternatives?? I don't like the M739 XT crankset either!! Call me a fussy bugger but a bad era for Shimano crankset's in my opinion...so not sure what to go for, an older M737 XT crankset? Or something more "boutique"!

How about a White Industries? Came on Marins of this era as OE I believe.
As for the 'size of the limit screws' question, I don't know I'm afraid. Probably best to take one out and pop along to your local fastenings shop.

Given the propensity of the Mk I swingarms to crack, I'd give it a very careful look over/under/around and fix it so you can ride it for a bit before going the whole hog with XT/XTR..

At least that way if you take it on a 'normal' route, (i.e you're not 'abusing' it) and it cracks in a couple of weeks or so, you know you need to replace the swingarm, and you havent spend money/time on tarting it up - yet ;)
Check under the swingarm lower brace, just above the Pivot - that's a common crack location (arf arf..)

If it lasts the course, so to speak, then XT sounds nice!
Yup, there's some argument over 'original' MV equipment, safe to say that some were sold with White Industries stamped Sugino-made cranks and some with Sugino-branded Sugino-made cranks..

Mine had Whites, but unfortunately 170mm and 94 BCD, so too short and a pain in the ass to get decent rings for!
They aren't heavy, but don't get suckered into thinking that they are 'boutique' and go paying £40-50 for a set either, like I have seen some advertised for (!)..

Well I've been ammasing a few more parts for the build...another Mount Vision albeit a 1999 for one! :LOL: But I have thoroughly inspected the swing arm and no cracks anywhere! But the 2nd MV could be used as a replacement swing arm should it be needed...

Parts so far:

- M950 v brakes
- Mavic X517 rims on M950 hubs
- M950 cassette
- XTR chain
- M952 rear mech
- M739 5 bolt chainset (not the one with the "Y" bolts on the outer ring.)
- A pair of Panaracer Smokes reissue ones.

Still really want to get some M950 STI's or speparate brake and gear levers...just missed out on some on ebay :evil: but hopefully some will come up. If not I have the XT STI's for the time being...if you do have some then hollar!!!

Doug

Pyro Tim":19r2skux said:
got a pic of the 739 5 bolt chainset Doug?

Here you go (not my pic but from the ebay ad)...didnt look as ugly as the 4 bolt M739 one or the 4 bolt M950 XTR one....might be better still with black rings though...and also didn't fancy limiting my self to an octalink BB if I went down the M950 route.

Attachments

• M739 crankset.jpg
    M739 crankset.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 279
Pyro Tim":eq0iygja said:
you're right, it does look better than the 4 bolt. Can't help but think the M737 is much prettier though

Yeah you may be right...would m737 rings fit it?? I'll try it on for size and if I don't like it maybe your raceface could be considered!

Back