Capital punishment

velomaniac":2f1t3vcb said:
Not in favour of death penalty because there will alway be mistakes, but also feel prison should mean something and life sentences should be life.

I agree, just one innocent life taken and the system has failed to protect the innocent. True, were I to loose a member of my family, child, husband to a murder, I would probably want them to be hung, draw and quartered, but that would be an emotional response not a objective response, which I think the law has to have, hence the victims family members are never in the jury. I also agree that life should mean life and not a recommended time that they do not in the end serve.

Alison

Even in cases of zero doubt that they accused has committed the offence?

Is locking them up forever any different from ending their life? In prison they are kept away from the public but they are still a danger to some and an ongoing burden for everyone.

I have reservations about the death penalty but I do believe it should be an option in extreme cases.

dan smith":1ru78jty said:

The thing is you cannot have a law for one set of people and one for another, these people may have been witnessed and proud of their actions and it may seem a logical conclusion to put them to death, but there would be many families of victims who feel it is a zero doubt case and feel they've been, to put it crudely, done out of their victims justice if the murderer is not put to death.

I also don't believe in eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, I have brought my children up to not retaliate however strongly they feel they want to, as it just brings them down to the same level as their aggressor even if that's just their sibling. I think we should be better than to ask for equal revenge for acts committed to us.

Alison

Name three countries with the death penalty and high standards of justice...

If the death penalty works, why is our murder rate only 20% of the USA's?

Just wondered, what was the original horror or atrocity that got this thread started.

Isaac_AG":pxgiii32 said:
dan smith":pxgiii32 said:

The thing is you cannot have a law for one set of people and one for another, these people may have been witnessed and proud of their actions and it may seem a logical conclusion to put them to death, but there would be many families of victims who feel it is a zero doubt case and feel they've been, to put it crudely, done out of their victims justice if the murderer is not put to death.

Alison

Would they not feel this way if the accused is sentenced to spend their life in prison at the cost of the tax payer?

I see you point that the victims of crime will largely want the strongest sentence. However they are not in control of sentencing.

My thoughts on the topic are not motivated by revenge. I just cannot understand why we would opt to imprison someone guilty of committing such an act when there is no chance of release. It seems like a pointless exercise.

dan smith":15hsdh0p said:
Isaac_AG":15hsdh0p said:
dan smith":15hsdh0p said:

Alison

Would they not feel this way if the accused is sentenced to spend their life in prison at the cost of the tax payer?

I see you point that the victims of crime will largely want the strongest sentence. However they are not in control of sentencing.

My thoughts on the topic are not motivated by revenge. I just cannot understand why we would opt to imprison someone guilty of committing such an act when there is no chance of release. It seems like a pointless exercise.

I can understand where your coming from, but I could never condone execution of anybody whatever their crime, we pay our taxes and I would rather pay extra to have someone spend life in prison than less to pay for an executioner, as I don't believe in killing anyone ever, I don't think that anyone has the right to take life, and I'm not even religious.

Alison

I largely agree but a part of me cannot resolve the pointlessness of imprisonment without the option of release.

We can't remove these people from the face of the earth like they chose to do to their victim and we never will be able to make any real changes to our justice system, thanks to the ECHR. They have to rot in a institution that is far too comfortable and pleasant, again thanks to the ECHR, doing time at our expense.

There are some who will never be safe to be returned to society because they are basically bad.

So many people, whether they be common thieves or murderers, try all they can to appeal against their sentence, sometimes years after imprisonment, it can't be that comfortable and pleasant or they'd be people committing horrible offences just to get the bed and breakfast on offer, sorry to be so flippant. To be honest I'd prefer a lifetime of unpleasantness on the outside and have my freedom than a lifetime on the inside however cushy it seems to people in general.

Alison

Back