MBUK December 1995

P1060387.jpg

P1060390.jpg

P1060389.jpg

P1060391.jpg

P1060388.jpg

P1060393.jpg

:D

I remember that issue. Was that Rob Warner?

Excellent Post

I have one of these frames and over the years it's gotten a little worse for wear and this thread has shown me the light of how to restore these sort of frames. An excellent job, well done!

Re: New build: 1996/97 Orange P7 Nickel

...and some very nice decals off Gil (quelle surprise...!)
Decided to go for the 1995 "Block caps" ones in the end over the original ones simply as I prefer the look of them. '95 was the last year of great Orange decals in my 'umble opinion! Have the odd pang of guilt in not keeping the bike 'decal-correct' but when you think of P7's you think of these decals (...well I do!).

P1060474.jpg

WOndered if you would be so kind as to provide information as to where I can get an identical set of these P7 stickers please? I have just picked up a '96 Nickel P7, and doing a similar job in breathing more life into the ol' girl much like yourself.

Any information would be super appreciated,
Graham

Re: 1996/97 Orange P7 Nickel

Dossa":201kntsa said:
Hi graham, if you send an email to Gil:

gil@thecycleshed.co.uk
He'll sort you out bud....
Cheers, Matty :D

Ah that's really great! Seen this 'Gil' person named a few times, so will certainly get in contact. Like I say I have this nice nickel P7 that needs new decals on, but also have a 94 Clockwork, which I've had from new, that is being restored as well, and this needs new decals as well.

Great job on your own P7 as well, used this post a lot to reference and get some tips. My frame is OK, but there are spot rust spots under the patchy lacquer, nothing major, so guess I'll need to remove the lacquer buff/polish the nickel and get it relacquered much like you have done.

Any ideas how long a polished, but unlacquered frame will generally last before signs of surface rust start appearing: Days, weeks? Wondering if it's a race against time sort of thing. :)

Did you get yours lacquered locally, or did you send it off somewhere, be nice to get some recommendations of people used to doing this on bikes etc.

Thanks again,
Graham

Hi mate,

Some people don't bother getting it lacquered, as long as its kept dry and polished now and again it should be fine. Lacquer just preserves it better but is not compulsory!

Had mine done at C&G Finishes in Liverpool as mentioned in the thread. There will no doubt be companies local to you who could do the job though, shouldn't be too expensive.

Cheers....

Really like this build and am unashamedly emulating it. :oops:

Where did you get the e type bottom bracket?

Twister":j5e708bl said:
Really like this build and am unashamedly emulating it. :oops:

Where did you get the e type bottom bracket?

From the famous bike shop, Amazon.. :D

I think Evans had some in stock but just had a quick look and they've sold out it appears?

Not the easiest part to come across but I'm sure there'll be a stockist online somewhere...

******BIT OF AN UPDATE 13/08/2013..........******

After some recent bone crunching rides, I decided to spruce up the ol' girl a bit :D

This will be the third (and hopefully final!) incarnation of this bike - started life as a road beast, then rigid MTB now a bit more of a modern look/feel to it.

So, out goes the rigid forks, threaded headset and quill stem - in comes a bit of bounce, these new fangled ahead stem thingies (!) and a riser bar...

Been collecting a few parts recently, they include:

New V brakes - Shimano Deore XT BR-T780:

5lih.jpg

zz46.jpg

Orange Supercross bars from '98:

kryh.jpg

BBB TurnAround headset 1" threadless:

3wai.jpg

Two sets of tyres, Panaracer Cinder folders for the autumn/winter and Charge Splashbacks for spring/summer:

wjzj.jpg

rfmg.jpg

69w0.jpg

zag5.jpg

Orange SK9 stem, very kindly karma'd by Colin (bhill22) on here - cheers Col, very generous indeed! :D

nu99.jpg

1997 Pace RC-36 - purchased off Colin and sent off to Tim for the "full hit" - like new now... :oops: :cool:

q6a2.jpg

0hra.jpg

xz7p.jpg

763y.jpg

Not fully built back up yet of course, but here's a quick mock up:

rsla.jpg

964z.jpg

ypxk.jpg

bdkf.jpg

Need a new saddle as the old Flite on it really is in poor condition (probably get a Charge Spoon in black but anyone think a coloured saddle would look ok?), put my SPD's back on, ODI lock on grips, black seatpost (probably will be a BBB Skyscraper) though could stretch to a nice Syncros I suppose..!

Will finish it off next week so will show you all the end results then...... ;)

Cheers, Matty :D

Back