The Best cantilever brakes

I have tried a few over the years.... a well set up set will be as good as V's.... I always liked the Shimano M900's but the are pricey for a tidy set
Shimano M737's Work very well, got a set on my kona, very pleased
Shimano M734's not so sure, but I may not have em set up as well as the M737's.
Got some Curve's but not used them, heard they're a bit fiddly to set up.

I have tried quite a few over the years, generally I would say go for ones with a simple set up as this will give you a better chance of getting a good set up first time.

Also (IMHO) go for canti's with the spring inside and at the rear with a spring tension screw, as the one's with it all hanging out the front collect crud and are more faff to set the spring tension even.

ibbz":2hc68btj said:
The controltech looks the bollocks!
Loads of info here thanks guys
More pics pls

'Off the shelf' bling :

DSC06636.jpg

DSC06637.jpg

WD :D

yo-eddy":1zhcxo4n said:
Campy record OR are among the best canti's I've used
Agree. They use a cleverly designed 'thrust-washer' type pivot (the early-version at least) which is very rigid and seems to reduce friction; the similar but conventional Icarus isn't quite as good.

Pivot/bearing tolerance is a significant and underestimated factor in brake quality IMO - it's the reason Onza HOs work well but not fantastically, which they should do considering their very solid design. The original Boulder brake which they copy worked better, as it had tighter pivot bushings (and it didn't crack)

Skeelsie":p9pwijt7 said:
Suntour Self Energising rears are the nuts when coupled with a brake booster - easily as good as top end parallelogram V's.
but utterly useless for actually stopping. It's the modern equivalent of putting a 210mm disc and 6 pots on the back and a 140/twin on the front.

Brilliant for a tandem/laden touring. But not much else!

mattr":3p2pzgew said:
Skeelsie":3p2pzgew said:
Suntour Self Energising rears are the nuts when coupled with a brake booster - easily as good as top end parallelogram V's.
but utterly useless for actually stopping. It's the modern equivalent of putting a 210mm disc and 6 pots on the back and a 140/twin on the front.

Brilliant for a tandem/laden touring. But not much else!

inless they are used on pace rear mounted forks.

Hi

Sorry missed your request here is a quick pic will take some better ones when it stops raining and it isn't dark outside :LOL:

These are the TRP 950 Carbon and Ti versions blagged them on EBay for £45 the pair :D

Attachments

• trp 1.jpg
    trp 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 528
My bike came with oem Shimano Alivio cantis , first time I had tried them . Once I had worked out how to set them up well , I got them working pretty good . Certainly as good as my v brakes BITD :shock:

+1 for Dia-Compe 987s.

I've got Record OR on one bike, M732 on another. Also tried M737. 987s are the brakes that all the others could have been but never quite were.....

Back