More stupid questions on chain length... (and indexing)

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Replacing old cassette chain etc on old rock hopper...

Its obvious the chain is too slack.

But I followed usual guidance of putting it in 'big big' plus two links. Any advice?!

Help please!!

Asked on bikeradar and it started a bun fight so hope you can help me out more.

I don't ever use big big (obviously) but I am trying to index gears for the first time ( :oops: ) and it's impossible at the mo with my guidelines as I need to start in small small?

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

Hopefully of some help!
Sounds odd though - have you changed the ratio of the cassette? (gone from 12-28 to 11-32 for example?) In which case you may need to adjust the b-limit screw (that adjusts the position of the mech around the pivot and changes it's vertical position in relation to the cassette) as the largest sprocket may be a different size and the derailleur is in the wrong position to fully tension the chain.

Yeah, this one has a massive largest cog, the old one didn't so I know that's some of the problem. Will give that a try first.

Thanks for replying.

TBH, most of my 3x9/10 mtbs look like that. And have done for 20 years.

I'm far far far more likely to accidentally end up in Big/Big than small/small, so its never actually been an issue.

Big Big plus 2 full links WITHOUT threading through the mech is how I've always done it.
The it seems just fine as you'll not use BIG BIG with the mech threaded in everyday situation.

that is the way that is recommended, if you have changed the block have you checked the capacity of the changers are still valid, sometimes can still do even if exceeded, I looked at this with a short cage viewtopic.php?f=1&t=243935=

stewlewis":1s3kny40 said:
Big Big plus 2 full links WITHOUT threading through the mech is how I've always done it.
The it seems just fine as you'll not use BIG BIG with the mech threaded in everyday situation.

Yeah it was measured before putting through the mechs.

Im going to leave it I think and index it in middle ring.

I calculated the mahic no and teeth are within rear mech limits so that should be ok.

Will report back. Probably next week as have a wedding this weekend...

It shouldn't make any difference which ring you have it in whilst indexing the back.
Obviously you want some more chain tension......... But the rear mech doesn't care.

I usually just set it up using middle or big chainring and then use the others to double check after I've finished.

Back