Newbie cant decide on steel Hahanna or ally firemountain

I'll leave the firemountain as is for now and I'll slowly rebuild the hahanna. As I said I'm new to this, the last bikes I had we're a raleigh mustang, followed by a saracen hardtrax (that I loved but it got pinched from the garden shed) I then had a carrera kraken.......then I passed my driving test and haven't ridden since.

Once the frame and forks have been sprayed I can get it back together, I'll keep it simple in regards to v brakes, the crank appears ok and I also have the velocity stem all has been rubbed down to bare metal.

The headset has seen better days, as its a threaded fork what am I looking for in a replacement headset? Ie size and type? Not after king or hope type brands just something half handy.

Also I was considering the ss route but would prefer to put a single chain ring on the front and put a cassette on the rear.

The original gear set was acera x , I still have the deraileurs, 5 bolt crank arms and the grip shifts.

Any recommendations on a front chain wheel 32 tooth?? And am I right in thinking the derailleur would be good for a 7 speed cassette?

Cheers again

Anybody got any reccomendations on half decent budget26 wheels? Preferbly black ?!

Also anybody know where I can get retro kona decals? I dont want to fully sticker her up, but wouldnt mind putting the old kona decals or something subtle back on before its clearcoated

I build a Hahanna as a "Taxi" for my baby and let me tell you I can not be more impress with it, this frame is really amazing, very responsive, compliant and fun to ride.
IMG_4460-M.jpg

Put it this way this is her other Taxi and I'm much rather ride the Kona.
photo%281%29-M.jpg

Believe thats the same as mine started out, but yours is a lot cleaner!

I would get a lot more time riding my bike if I would submit and put a kid seat on the back, how easy are they to take on and off?

naboo":1h1ycryy said:
Believe thats the same as mine started out, but yours is a lot cleaner!
Mine...??

And I try to make it as ugly as possible so it does not get stolen..

I would get a lot more time riding my bike if I would submit and put a kid seat on the back, how easy are they to take on and off?
Two minutes tops, 4 allen bolts, really easy..

naboo":2kw5piai said:
Also anybody know where I can get retro kona decals?
There is a guy on the site called Gil_m who is our decal guru who has reams of decals on file for all but the rarest bikes. You can get him at his site http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk or by pm on here. He likes to have a pic of the decals you want - then sends you a mock up. If you mention it's going under clear coat he may suggest a different material to his usual.

It was a bronze/gold colour before I butchered all the paint off

May have to look into a seat, beats having to get a babysitter everytime we want to go for a ride!

secret_squirrel":1jesbput said:
naboo":1jesbput said:
Also anybody know where I can get retro kona decals?
There is a guy on the site called Gil_m who is our decal guru who has reams of decals on file for all but the rarest bikes. You can get him at his site http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk or by pm on here. He likes to have a pic of the decals you want - then sends you a mock up. If you mention it's going under clear coat he may suggest a different material to his usual.

Cheers! Will look into it thats a big help

naboo":1nm39gye said:
It was a bronze/gold colour before I butchered all the paint off

May have to look into a seat, beats having to get a babysitter everytime we want to go for a ride!

Oh riding with the kiddo is super fun but remember you can only ride on the road and be careful of jolts and when you enter/exit corner sidewalks and things like that..

My kids are at the learning to ride themselves stage, although the thought of them riding along with me for any distance still seems quite a way off, the thought of bolting them on and hitting the road does appeal!

Latest posts

Back