A Personal Question of Length?

Average leg length is 45% of height, I'm 5'10" & have 34 to 35 inside leg (it's hard to measure precisely). I ride small frames with the seat high to get a closer reach.

JamesM":1w5n3egl said:
FairfaxPat":1w5n3egl said:
I'm 6'1" and have a 34" leg length.

Same!!!

Same.

Trouser measurement is too short, you need to go 'all the way' :shock:

The usual method recommended is to put a book between your legs and shove it up as high as possible. You then measure from the highest point to the ground. It's usually easier if you have assistance.

I ride 17.5 to 18" frames, and have done for a long time as I find Mtb's are pretty adaptable for height. It is the reach that gets more critical the older I get, I think this is the reason I ride 'small' with both mtb's and road bikes.

NeilM":3psmehu9 said:
JamesM":3psmehu9 said:
FairfaxPat":3psmehu9 said:
I'm 6'1" and have a 34" leg length.

Same!!!

Same.

Trouser measurement is too short, you need to go 'all the way' :shock:

The usual method recommended is to put a book between your legs and shove it up as high as possible. You then measure from the highest point to the ground. It's usually easier if you have assistance.

I ride 17.5 to 18" frames, and have done for a long time as I find Mtb's are pretty adaptable for height. It is the reach that gets more critical the older I get, I think this is the reason I ride 'small' with both mtb's and road bikes.

You know this is all your fault don't you? :LOL:

I know I'm a freak. That cartoon on the first page made me laugh. I don't have the build of a gorilla though.

I'm six foot on the nail and have an inside leg of 29". Ducks' Disease has been in our family for generations. Def: Ducks' Disease; Medical, Where the sufferer's arse is too close to the ground. Previous generations didn't mind so much as they were short.

To compensate though my reach is 6' 8" so I think some genes got crossed somewhere! Not that I ride tractors much these days but my MTB frames are in the 18 to 19"

I had a road bike made for me that is a 57cm size with a slightly slackened seat tube angle that increases the length of the top tube. That is coupled to a 135mm stem to provide length. That makes for the perfect length but, with age and injury I may well be slightly shortening the stem soon.

Iwasgoodonce":s9ovn79h said:
I'm six foot on the nail and have an inside leg of 29". Ducks' Disease has been in our family for generations. Def: Ducks' Disease; Medical, Where the sufferer's arse is too close to the ground.

Ahh, that would explain your ability to climb hills with a nice comfortable cadence, while my great long legs are flailing round like... erm, fast flaily sorts of things, that flail... a bit.

Back