xtr hub or not

hot chilli

Retro Guru
while sorting through boxes of bits i cam across this hub (lower one of the two)

it has been polished up probably buy me many years ago, because i can see where some of the marks from spokes on the flanges have been smoothed over.

im unsure if its one of the higher spec road hubs or an XTR one.
as you can see from the pic the flange width is wider that the LX one.
it has the larger taper to the ally on the freehub side.
the grease cap is not there so cant see any part numbers.

the flanges being wider than the lx one made me think it may be a road hub???

if i stick an axle in it and sell it i dont want to go saying its XTR if its not because thats not fair in the buyer.

no end caps on it, look like the bearing race on the non drive side was mahine ground originaly not just a pressed steel cup.
i probably pinched the end caps for another hub.. many years ago i used to get all the "scrap wheels" from a local bike shop. some just needed a spoke tweeked here and there others were only good for bits.

dont think the XT had the same shape to the hub as the xtr. ???
but dont have one to check.

XT or DX i would say the xtr's had an anodized finish that would be a paint to completely remove well from the nooks and crannies.

XT hub is different dimensionally than the DX hub, wider and large diam.
I was going to work out spoke length's, the bit of paper I have the dimensions
on has both XT732 and M650 hub sizes, if I find it I will put the dimensions in.
You can see the difference in the grinding of the XT and XTR cups.
But I think you will find the XT has a press in seal cap, even though they have direction arrows on them, where as the XTR hub they are screwed in[so if no thread no XTR].

Just realised you are asking if it is XTR, it's not. To much is wrong.
I was thinking you where asking if it was deore XT or something else.
Really its just a shell now, bearing races may help you tell if it not lower models. Axle and it cones and the grease ports that are not there make the difference from DX iirc.

still no closer to knowing what hub it is...
its not lx , xt or dx as none of those have the same longer taper shape to the ally on the drive side of the hub.
as far as i know this was on the xtr hubs because of the change to a longer free hub body.

im thinking it may be a road hub from arount the same age as the original XTR.

Back