Daewoo Genius re-discovery

Ezz

Retro Newbie
Apologies if some of this is a bit of a repeat of my post in the Intro section.

I've recently re-discovered an old bike in my Dad's garage which I'd forgotten was a suprisingly awesome little ride. The beast in question is a Daewoo Genius which I accept it's not most peoples idea of a classic but to say it's the best part of 20 years old, has been treated like crap and all the components are as they were from the factory it's still a great ride, really manouverable and easy to get the power down. Everyone I've met who has had a go on this bike seems to really like the way it handles, sort of a cross between a BMX and MTB, I guess probably because it's so short.

Anyway, I've aqcuired the bike gratis and stripped it down to the frame - although in working order, the rest didn't look to be worth saving. I also have a Boardman MTB which I intend to use as a donor (minus the shocks which I hate) although I've yet to check whether the various sizes will match up. If not I'll sell the Boredman and use the funds to build this.

I'm looking for some advice re: the frame, there are various brackets etc that are no longer required - do I carefully grind them off and polish or leave them be? I'm not sure if they will leave marks behind or weaken the frame?

Nice!
Daewoo Genii were always underrated IMHO.. Should make a nice upgraded bike from frame up.. Aluminium frames, so not too heavy, but pretty sturdy!

Things to check though - does the Boardman take v-brakes? Assuming it does, you should be able to carry these over.
do not grind off any brackets yet though - it might be a pain in the arse to build it up & then find you've got a canti hanger you don't need, but better than grinding off a cable-stop because you want to run 1x9, then finding out you can't run a front mech a year down the line..

I doubt that the front mech, seatpost & bars will fit. Depending on which model of Genius it is, it may have a threaded headset, which will need replacing, and I think the seatpost/seattube are 26.8/31.8, which are probably different to the Boardman.

Don't let that put you off though! There's enough quality in the frame to make it worth building up - would love to see some pics!

They also made a skinny steel-tubed version of the same frame; saw one in Worthing last time I was down there...

Cheers for the responses - mine is the Alu framed model, not sure of year of manufacture though.

I don't intend to grind anything off until I've done a full mock up. I don't mind building first then stripping down, although I've not built bikes before I have previously built a kitcar where check, check and check again is the order of the day.

Yeah I kind of suspected the sizes might be a bit off, I'll probably just flog the Boardman then, I've never really got on with it 100%, I think it's the front shocks, I just don't like them and always ride around with them locked out so may aswell go rigid I think.

I'll try stick a photo on later and see if anyone can fill me in on the year etc.

Yeah definitely post pics sounds very interesting

And if you have any questions, a picture says a thousand for helping folks understand what you are querying

Welcome to RB brother!

Photo of it on it's way home (at the train station after I got a flat 2 miles into a 9 mile ride!!)

Osella - it is/was the threaded headset model, does that give you any idea of age or any other useful info?? Thanks

These were sold around 1997/98 and I think the only difference between models was the components fitted. I've got a quick review in MBR magazine where they said it was a decent, lightweight frame worthy of some upgrades. I'd love to see one polished and tricked up ;)

Genius 1000 - Tourney/Altus - £210
Genius 2000 - Tourney/Altus - £230
Genius 3000 - Altus - £260
Genius 4000 - AceraX - £300
Genius 5000 - Alivio - £370

Yup - sounds like '97 to me.. The decals are consistent with the '97 too. Looks like Altus cranks and brakes too?
I think it's a 2000, I'm guessing 3x7 drivetrain, Parallax hubs & Tourney mech? ;)
If it's 7 on the rear it's a 2000, 8 would make it a 3000 ;)

The trouble with the Daewoo's was that I think they were sold through their car dealerships (which were new in the UK at the time) and they sold essentially re-badged 5-year old Vauxhall Astras & Cavaliers, so it wasn't exactly a first port of call for a car or a bike!

Nice frame tho - I considered getting one at the time (hence my vague recollection of prices, specs etc!) but went with a Saracen instead and regretted it as it was a good chunk heavier!

Back