1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Put a pic up of the skewer nuts front and rear, I may have one that matches one or the other

Thanks for the thought Matt, but on detailed inspection the QR side isn't identical either - it's a lovely enough piece, but it's not the right one :) My quest continues...

Having had a little play with the Synchro levers, I can see why they were swapped out for the simpler friction levers. The levers look the part (except for the big boss on the right hand side) but they thunk home like something agricultural. I haven't cabled them up, simply put them on the frame.

citrixccea":105r915c said:
Put a pic up of the skewer nuts front and rear, I may have one that matches one or the other

Thanks for the thought Matt, but on detailed inspection the QR side isn't identical either - it's a lovely enough piece, but it's not the right one :) My quest continues...

Having had a little play with the Synchro levers, I can see why they were swapped out for the simpler friction levers. The levers look the part (except for the big boss on the right hand side) but they thunk home like something agricultural. I haven't cabled them up, simply put them on the frame.

They will feel different when you have some pull on the cable, experiment with how tight you fasten the lock ring too, than can make a difference. I get on really well with mine (C Record Syncro II with either C Record or Athena derailleur, both use the blue insert). They click home nicely and work perfectly with my Regina freewheels.

Old Ned":3d3vil32 said:
Hmm, I learned on Thursday evening that it might actually be cancelled but I need to contact the organiser myself to make sure. It'll be dissappointing if it is as he only took over the show last year from the previous organiser. However, it may be problems with the hire of the hall or anything so no prejudgments will be made as to the reason.

Looks like I could be wrong -

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=202776

Follow the link.

Levers!

I wonder if any of you eagle-eyed chaps can tell me which generations of C Record these levers are ?

The one on the left is the original one from the 'nana', which has the adjuster and the built in ledge to allow you to run concealed cables. It's been "oven prided" sanded and "Autosol"-ed.

The one on the right is one of the pair that I bought in the US for the white hoods - it's not been dipped or strpped, and is as purchased. It appears to be from a generation before, no adjustment, and has the simple push in plate for the concealed cables. They're exactly the same dimensions, although the one with the adjuster "looks" slimmer.

Once the build is complete I'll sell on the right hand one in the black hoods, but I'll hang fire in case I need to 'borrow' a part or two!

Attachments

• photo(23).JPG
    photo(23).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 429
  • photo(24).JPG
    photo(24).JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 429
Old Ned":ucj01aho said:
Old Ned":ucj01aho said:
Hmm, I learned on Thursday evening that it might actually be cancelled but I need to contact the organiser myself to make sure. It'll be dissappointing if it is as he only took over the show last year from the previous organiser. However, it may be problems with the hire of the hall or anything so no prejudgments will be made as to the reason.

Follow the link.

Just heard from Mark, the Classic Show is cancelled but the jumbles are still going ahead.

So I was right after all!

Old Ned":1jxp9kxi said:

Follow the link.

Just heard from Mark, the Classic Show is cancelled but the jumbles are still going ahead.

So I was right after all!

That's a shame - time wise it would have been perfect.

I've reached a point in the restoration, where I'm going to have a pause. I've read all the articles of people who've resprayed their bike, and then dare not use them.

Mechanically we'll soon be back to 1989 condition. As you can see from the pics, the white hoods and levers are fitted, to the Cinelli bars and stem. Soon I'll be getting the brakes and mechs cabled using the NOS pearl outers, and re-taping the bars in Benotto Yellow

The bit I'm looking forward to most though, is riding it again!

As always your comments, insights and suggestions are invited....

Attachments

• photo(20).JPG
    photo(20).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 578
  • photo(21).JPG
    photo(21).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 578
citrixccea":nqcrvnwa said:
I've reached a point in the restoration, where I'm going to have a pause. I've read all the articles of people who've resprayed their bike, and then dare not use them.

Mechanically we'll soon be back to 1989 condition. As you can see from the pics, the white hoods and levers are fitted, to the Cinelli bars and stem. Soon I'll be getting the brakes and mechs cabled using the NOS pearl outers, and re-taping the bars in Benotto Yellow

I've had mine resprayed and I use it. Did a TT last night on it in fact, crap time though!

Matt_wood55":37pdk5lb said:
citrixccea":37pdk5lb said:

I've had mine resprayed and I use it. Did a TT last night on it in fact, crap time though!

I'm not sure why I put re-sprayed, as I don't think I'm going to respray it - but I do want to improve the condition of the paint before I get any decals made up. I'd have thought a bright shiny bike would be faster for a TT :)

citrixccea":28yxd6gb said:
Levers!

I wonder if any of you eagle-eyed chaps can tell me which generations of C Record these levers are ?

The one on the left is the original one from the 'nana', which has the adjuster and the built in ledge to allow you to run concealed cables. It's been "oven prided" sanded and "Autosol"-ed.

The one on the right is one of the pair that I bought in the US for the white hoods - it's not been dipped or strpped, and is as purchased. It appears to be from a generation before, no adjustment, and has the simple push in plate for the concealed cables. They're exactly the same dimensions, although the one with the adjuster "looks" slimmer.

Once the build is complete I'll sell on the right hand one in the black hoods, but I'll hang fire in case I need to 'borrow' a part or two!

Lever on the right was typically supplied with Cobalto brake which where earlier than your bike so left is correct

Back