1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

All is well again - the Garage door realigned, serviced and good to go. The shelf that collapsed seemingly damaged nothing

I've now got almost all the components I need to complete the build - there's one minor detail that I'd like some guidance from the community on.

What handlebar tape should I be using ? :) Here are some pics of the period 130mm XA, and the cinelli crits I've sourced.

I'm taking my time considering final details - I'm going to savour the remainder of the work as the bulk has been done.

I'm planning a build with the components and paint as they are - with a view to possibly retouching paint and then applying new transfers, and potentially the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield could be a convenient opportunity to get some feedback before the next step - great idea Old Ned!

Attachments

• photo(16).JPG
    photo(16).JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,015
citrixccea":1z4zpxrq said:
All is well again - the Garage door realigned, serviced and good to go. The shelf that collapsed seemingly damaged nothing

I've now got almost all the components I need to complete the build - there's one minor detail that I'd like some guidance from the community on.

What handlebar tape should I be using ? :) Here are some pics of the period 130mm XA, and the cinelli crits I've sourced.

I'm taking my time considering final details - I'm going to savour the remainder of the work as the bulk has been done.

I'm planning a build with the components and paint as they are - with a view to possibly retouching paint and then applying new transfers, and potentially the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield could be a convenient opportunity to get some feedback before the next step - great idea Old Ned!

Looks like it could have been Benotto tape which you can still get NOS in yellow

Attachments

• 3995071365_351fa1999a.jpg
    3995071365_351fa1999a.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 990
I know it's been quiet on the build thread recently - I've been busy riding not restoring!

That said, I have finally tracked down the yellow benotto tape & plugs the bearings for the headset, and all my 'loot' will be winging it's way across the Atlantic shortly.

I have managed to snipe my own hardcopy collectors card (as posted digitally by TimColnago above) - it should just allow me to do a high res scan, and confirm if I've got the spec EXACTLY right.

It's been interesting riding my new bike - and while it's very nice, it just shows what a great bike the 753 is - I'd say that the only real difference between the two is the new bike has a wider gear range, probably fits me better, and I notice I'm experiencing less back pain!

Old Ned":1keqfsmb said:
This is a great build, congrats on what you've done so far. A mate of mine (who has just joined us) used to train with Dave on the local chaingang etc. I remember him as a local young lad with potential (!).

As you're in Yorkshire why not bring it along to the Classic Bike Show in Sheffield June 15th? I'm sure it would create a lot of interest. You might get some useful feedback as well.

Old Ned,

I've been looking for info on the web about the show, and a fair amount seems to be out of date - do you have a contact for the show you can send me by PM ?

It's going to be 'touch and go' if the bike gets finished by 15th of June....

I have received the NOS headset bearings today from Italy, and I'd forgotten how easy it is to setup a standard headset versus an 'aheadset' ... I've probably not done a conventional one in 20 years, but it just seemed to flow quite naturally, and the steering feels cracking again! The only upside of the aheadset seemingly being the lack of a need for a massive great spanner. Frankly I've found all sorts of other uses for a 32mm spanner over the years :) I suppose I rarely take one on a ride though.

Hmm, I learned on Thursday evening that it might actually be cancelled but I need to contact the organiser myself to make sure. It'll be dissappointing if it is as he only took over the show last year from the previous organiser. However, it may be problems with the hire of the hall or anything so no prejudgments will be made as to the reason.

A long shot - but I hear on the grapevine that the Etape du Dales (http://www.daveraynerfund.co.uk/etapedudales), a major source of income for the Dave Rayner fund is in need of volunteers for this Sunday (19th of May 2013) . As it's starts in Grassington, North Yorkshire it's probably only relevant to those relatively local. I've asked the organiser for details of when he needs people, and for how long, and what he needs done, and I'll post more as I know more.

Got to be a way to get build up some Karma credits - who's free ?

I'm an excited retrobiker tonight - my package finally arrived, full of swag.

Two reels of Benotto tape and plugs
Two complete sets of campagnolo gear/brake outers in Pearl white
Synchro Levers
Rear Q/R Skewer
Brake levers with White hoods.

I'm very impressed with practically everything - the white hoods on the levers are nearly flawless. I don't intend to use the levers, so those will be sold on, they're in very, very good nick with just a little rub on one of them, but they're not original and they don't have the hex key adjuster.
And I've spent ages polishing the old ones up!

There are an inordinate amount of bits in with the synchro levers - if anyone can refer me to a diagram showing the right assembly order I'd be very grateful!

Rear skewer is good, but the static nut side doesn't quite match the front one - it has two flat edges to it, rather than being just round, but it's still progress from the Tacx one !

And of course - here's a pic

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 586
citrixccea":30v6830q said:
I'm an excited retrobiker tonight - my package finally arrived, full of swag.

Two reels of Benotto tape and plugs
Two complete sets of campagnolo gear/brake outers in Pearl white
Synchro Levers
Rear Q/R Skewer
Brake levers with White hoods.

I'm very impressed with practically everything - the white hoods on the levers are nearly flawless. I don't intend to use the levers, so those will be sold on, they're in very, very good nick with just a little rub on one of them, but they're not original and they don't have the hex key adjuster.
And I've spent ages polishing the old ones up!

There are an inordinate amount of bits in with the synchro levers - if anyone can refer me to a diagram showing the right assembly order I'd be very grateful!

Rear skewer is good, but the static nut side doesn't quite match the front one - it has two flat edges to it, rather than being just round, but it's still progress from the Tacx one !

And of course - here's a pic

Put a pic up of the skewer nuts front and rear, I may have one that matches one or the other

citrixccea":2yfh8l2z said:
Five minutes with Google found me all I need to know, what did we do before the web...

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/ca ... fters.html

Don't forget the thin washer that fits inside the body of the shifter under the Syncro insert and a smear of oil. Watch out when you install the Syncro insert too as those two springs can become a bit tired with age, I broke both springs in my shifters the other day without really trying. I took a chance though and ordered some springs that were advertised for 8/9 speed Ergos and they are the same, Campagnolo part number SL-RE009, loads on Ebay but all in the USA it appears. Mind you it was a blessing in disguise as the new springs give a much more positive click in each gear, before you could barely feel the resistance at all.

Martin

Back