1992 Klein Adroit redux

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Looks like time has finally come to do a little refresh of my old 1992 Adroit. However, in this case the refresh is not what you think... So, the back story is as follows. A good friend (read: very very good friend) tipped me off to this Adroit in my neighborhood about 4 years ago. It was just listed as an old Adroit and the price was an attractive $700. I had been out of the vintage scene for some time, but decided to go and check it out. In fact I didn't even have the money to buy it so my friend (again really good friend) fronted me the money and said he'd take it if I didn't want it. I went to look at the bike and came home with it. It was a former race bike (not Klein team, Knapps race team) and had some nice bits on it. The best part was that the owner took off the strata very shortly after getting the bike and replaced it with a Judy, so the Strata was in mint condition.

This is the bike as I got it:

IMG_0165-vi.jpg

This is what it looks like today after 4 years of fun usage:

20130511_121635-vi.jpg

I have to say that this bike (and my friend) are the main reasons I rediscovered vintage bikes - it's been a great ride since.

This Adroit is by no means spent, but it's been ridden hard and put away wet and shows a lot of what some might call "patina", I prefer wear and tear.

As my luck would have it I recently stumbled onto another much cleaner Adroit up in Seattle. This bike has lived the opposite life from mine in almost every way. Very little use and this owner opted for the rock shox from the factory. The good thing is that the Strata off of my current Adroit can be swapped over to this bike and build essentially a mint condition fuselage!!

Photo of the bike as found:

CLPic1-vi.jpg

CLPic3-vi.jpg

I couldn't believe my luck when I realized that this Adroit has a nearly complete Ultra Light grouppo on it!!

DSC00178-vi.jpg

DSC00181-vi.jpg

DSC00186-vi.jpg

The Adroit is on it's way here now and should be here in time for the long weekend. Now I just need to decide how to build it. I really enjoy riding my Adroit, in fact it's quite possibly my favorite bike out on the trails. I'm just not sure how well the UL grouppo will hold up in real life conditions. Those Hi-e hubs weren't mean for a 210+ pound rider.

To make things more interesting there is another very unique Adroit coming my way that will take it's place alongside this bike and offer another build option/decision and best yet it will offer up a Strata fork for my old Adroit. So, some musical chairs upcoming for sure.

Oh my god Martin. That is a catch and a half. Can I be friends with your friend also please! The only problem I would have is riding the new one in quite the same way as the first!

Can't wait to see this one evolve. Keep it UL or m900!!

No doubt I'll be a bit more gentle with the new bike and that's a part of the problem with these cream puffs. I may build it with the UL parts and then make my 21" 93 Attitude my main rider (w/ M900 and some of the parts from the old Adroit) and see how that goes.

That bike must not have been ridden at all if the Hi-E cassette hub is still in one piece.

The Hi-E + Campy freewheel was a better lightweight combo

Shayne":33tzjal5 said:
That bike must not have been ridden at all if the Hi-E cassette hub is still in one piece.

The Hi-E + Campy freewheel was a better lightweight combo

I'm pretty sure it's a FW, but the larger cog got swapped out for something else... I'll find out for sure when it arrives this weekend.

Edited - After reading up on the cassette version I really hope it's not that... looks scary

mkozaczek":1ek3hq9w said:
Those Hi-e hubs weren't mean for a 210+ pound rider.

Bummer :? Have to loose some weight as well before i try it out......

Looking forward with great attention how these will be build/changed!

Beautiful bikes in a great color!

Nice one Martin, what a great position to be in having three Adroits to fettle. :cool:

Another thread to follow with admiration and envy ;)

Back