If I was a dictator.

bj

Retro Guru
Waiting to see the outcome of this one:

There is a somewhat dysfunctional family that live nearby - I could go on for hours about their anti social activities, particularly their dangerous driving antics. Anyway the father of the family (aged 50) is appearing in court in May. The charge - killing a 20 year old and 22 year by dangerous driving, using his wife's BMW. Apparently he was uninsured and has never own a driving licence. Was caught after appeals for his whereabouts.

Preliminary indications are that he will get off on a technicality.

Surprisingly, I get the impression that being uninsured and not having a driving licence is not particularly relevant in such cases - they are relatively minor offences. Typically the penalty for driving without a licence is a £500 fine and 3 points on any future licence obtained.

Yet again the law will look an ass. Now if I was a dictator I would replace all of the laws that exist with just one law - the law of common sense. You are tried purely on the basis of what is considered to be common sense.

As my Mum used keep on (and on) saying: "Common sense is great, but sense isn't that common"

As loathsome as this individual undoubtedly is, I'd consider his legal representative beyond contempt. The fact that someone can go to the effort of searching for such a loophole, be paid very well for it, and then sleep soundly at night just baffles me, frankly.

Koupe":36d7fn1c said:
As loathsome as this individual undoubtedly is, I'd consider his legal representative beyond contempt. The fact that someone can go to the effort of searching for such a loophole, be paid very well for it, and then sleep soundly at night just baffles me, frankly.

Very well said.

Koupe":19i8lw23 said:
As my Mum used keep on (and on) saying: "Common sense is great, but sense isn't that common"

+2
Some people clearly have no conscience.
And as for common sense, its unlikely to appear in our legislation any time soon while we still have that over privileged collectiv known as the House of Lords!

My_Teenage_Self":71yhc80f said:
Koupe":71yhc80f said:

Very well said.

Ditto, I just can't understand why drivers get away with what is essentially manslaughter with a few points and if they get a sentence at all it's something like 2 months suspended. I'd lock em away and throw away the bloody key personally.

Alison

if someone like him took the life or lives of my children, i'd care not for 'justice' through any form of legal system. i'd snatch the life right out of him.

Unusual to get off a death by dangerous driving as the CPS only go for that if the case is pretty watertight..........

Shaun

Just heard that he was unanimously found guilty and sentenced to 2.5 yrs jail. Can't imagine he will serve much of that. Was rather hoping it would have been longer than that.

So frustrating.

given the OP was re a technicality then this is a result however unjust it is in dealing with lost lives and impact around them

bj":1uk49329 said:
Preliminary indications are that he will get off on a technicality.

Interested to know what that technicality was supposed to be?

Driving without insurance is mandatory 6 points and possibly a large fine.

Driving without a license is something that could happen for a number of reasons, not always intentional, unlike driving whilst disqualified.

Back