Wookiee's 1997 Mount Vision...

The main problem is setting up the front mech correctly. The location of the swingarm makes it an absolute bitch to do.

Osella":1f9gj6df said:
Exactly the same model I had - and similar condition.. !
Mine broke the swingarm though :facepalm:

I dumped the forks as they were almost solid & not worth fixing - there's a lot of good forks out there at the mo tho, on the Sale forum & ebay. Plenty of Bombers / Sunn XC forks etc.

I cleaned up the mech on mine & it functioned perfectly, shifters & 1 set of V's were salvageable too - yours looks similar so should tidy up well!

Yeah after a bit of a clean the shifters/brake levers have cleaned up reallly well and function perfectly...the Vbrakes were a little stiff but have freed up nicely although most seem to have lost the little silver discs? The front mech functions ok but looks horrible as the rust has killed most of the chrome. The rear has cleaned up ok...the rear cage plate is a bit fooked, but most annoyingly the adjuster barrel will not go all the way in and gets stuck at about half way...

Had a quick polish today of the top tube and it came up like a mirror in no time! Going to take a fair bit of elbow grease to do the whole frame though!

What forks did you opt for on yours?

Logic.Al":3uf9s6un said:
The main problem is setting up the front mech correctly. The location of the swingarm makes it an absolute bitch to do.

Totally agree with that - really struggle on my '98 to get in to the hi/lo adjusting screws!

I wasn't the owner at the time, but I have the documents to prove my swing arm cracked and was replaced under warranty too...

You've certainly got potential there....I picked up an ALPS5R rear shock as a spare in case the shock fitted to mine goes bad... not sure how to tell if it needs a service tho without sticking it on the bike and never found the time.

For fronts, I've got Bombers on mine and they do the job just fine....

Al

...yeah I remember the front mech being a bitch on my Quake too! Bombers ok for a sturdy 16 stone fellow?

Logic.Al":1pkcl458 said:

I think the trick is/was to replace the Hi/Low screws with small hex head screws so that you could use a ball-ended allen key at an angle.

S8-Tom":3pmtiuh8 said:
Logic.Al":3pmtiuh8 said:

I think the trick is/was to replace the Hi/Low screws with small hex head screws so that you could use a ball-ended allen key at an angle.

Thats a good call! Any idea on the thread diameter?

Big_Al":3rma3qaf said:
They work fine for me and I'm a sturdy 16 stone kinda guy too!

Here's mine on this thread if you want a look....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=251915

Al

They look nice what would/should I expect to pay for a good set of bombers? Are there different models? I would be after the lightest possible...did they do air ones??

Had one of these and raced it BITD, great ride and tended to give you more confidence than the suspension could cope with, so many cracked through over enthusiasm.
They also had a nasty habit of throwing you over the bars over undulating tracks, as the forks compressed and the rear rebounded. They work far better with longer travel forks, 100mm plus.

My Bombers are oil filled, but there are air filled versions available. Price depends on condition mate....

Have a look at what's going in Ebay for a guide

Al

Back