Can't find it, But who said Oranges were overrated bikes??

Re: Can't find it, But who said Oranges were overrated bikes

I think we get into trouble when we are not comparing oranges and apples. Pace will alway have huge appeal because they were essentially boutique and fairly unobtainable.

In my head I always compare Orange and Kona as similar in terms of style and outlook. Ie not quite big enough to really play with the big boys but having a following out of proportion to their size. Favoured by sport racers and above.

Never owned or ridden an orange, had little to do with them BITD but will probably give one a go one day.
Ultimately they're just a bike and how they ride is as much determined by the rider than the bike. You can build vast numbers of bikes with exactly the same geometry, spec etc but you cant yet (I worked for one of the firms involved in Dolly the Cloned sheep) make exactly the same rider to ride every example so some folk wont gel with them.

Secret_Squirrel said it best for me:
It's a emotional thing - hence mere reason will never persuade me otherwise.

velomaniac":2tsfw5v9 said:
Never owned or ridden an orange, had little to do with them BITD but will probably give one a go one day.
Ultimately they're just a bike and how they ride is as much determined by the rider than the bike. You can build vast numbers of bikes with exactly the same geometry, spec etc but you cant yet (I worked for one of the firms involved in Dolly the Cloned sheep) make exactly the same rider to ride every example so some folk wont gel with them.

Secret_Squirrel said it best for me:
It's a emotional thing - hence mere reason will never persuade me otherwise.
I can imagine the events of Deus Ex 1 within 20 years from now, first mech augs, then nano augs and then come the Omar :twisted:
OT: Pace's FF suspension owns the Single Pivot of the Orange Five, IMO.

Chopper1192":37c8h3k4 said:
I am the guilty person and I present myself for a good horsewhipping!

They're good bikes, great bikes even , but they lack that certain sparkle this makes them mythical, either in terms of their position in history of when justifying an inflated asking price.

If you're after a steel framed bike to ride then you're onto a winner. If you think they're in some way any so radical, awesome or artful that they're work an asking price in excess of any other typical decent quality Steele (Pace, Alpinestars, higher end Saracen even - deletes appropriate) then your deluded.

Even today they don't have a modern product at the top of any of the individual bike categories, not by a long way, but this strange and unjustified gusset moistness at the mention of the name persists.

I also stand up and say WERE
Generic shaping,generic styling, made in the far east and heavier than they used to be meaning theyre only butting top frames and the rest are bog standard gas pipe :?
Heaviest frame ive ever seen an a £1000 bike. :shock:

I love Oranges, I have had one for 20 years and just recently added another two - see Readers Bikes today, I like the way they ride especially my P7 and like the Brit thing but I will admit I'm limited on experience e.g. A Marin MV Pro (loved that), Yeti (didnt get on with that), Cannondale Lefty something or other (good bike), Kona Explosiv (excellent)

I have an open mind and I'm happy to be pointed in another direction so what else can I get in 21" Large hard tail light weight, maybe Ti - I feel another thread coming on?

Back