The Best cantilever brakes

I always liked Dia-Compe 987's, you could/can get them in a couple of different colours too.

q1q_987_brake.jpg

I like cantis. Easy to set up if you have the knack. You can set then up for power, or sacrifices bit of power for better feel and modulation.

V' s aren't any better than properly set Canti's, just easier for the spodes of the late 90s to bodge into working order.

Cantilevers are great but as already mentioned, only if set up properly. It takes time and certain designs are better than others as its in the physics of the lever. Older wider designs with good clean pads work the best but on the rear, these can be too wide and catch your heels.

+1 for set up more important than make, I've been building couple bikes recently, and my single speed has cheapest brakes of all put on, some old LX I think bought off here, but went on well and set up with some decent pads seemed to go extra well and stopping power great when hacking down the hill to nearest pub, really was quite surprised how good could be.

Controltech work a treat, not a lot of faffing around to set them up either, if i could afford enough sets they'd be on most of my rides.

P1010112.jpg

RBG

Suntour Self Energising rears are the nuts when coupled with a brake booster - easily as good as top end parallelogram V's.

The controltech looks the bollocks!
Loads of info here thanks guys
More pics pls

legrandefromage":737lp5n8 said:
Older wider designs with good clean pads work the best but on the rear, these can be too wide and catch your heels.

+1 Hard to beat a pair of MT-60 cantis. Modern Frogglegs also good.

Only if you have the heel clearance though!

Top canti's is a tough question.

For Shimano I really like MT-60's. Look and function great, toe in can be a bit tricky though.

Aftermarket is a different story, Grafton's, Joe's, Critical, Campy, Hershey, Machine Tech, Paul's, etc. Pick your flavor, they all work great if set up properly. I prefer the aftermarket spring tension adjustment designs over the Shimano system, which is more about equalizing the arms than fine tuning the springs. Also it is much easier to adjust toe in with most aftermarket cantis.

I had the Onza HO's briefly BITD but there's a price to pay for that braking power...

...every set I have seen up for sale lately have had multiple hairline cracks!

Back