Scottish independence

technodup":2mu5xwm1 said:
Thank f**k the rest of the UK don't get a vote tbh, or we'd be cast aside like the ginger step-child.

probably now but only if those south of the border were fed up of hearing how you want independence, how the support for the "other" team always seems to go up, how you can keep the pound but we not say anything about what is done with it (and we know how well that works re euro), duck the bill when two banks with one thing in common go bust, need I go on. Brit loyalty can only take so much........what would you expect

10 years ago probably not, all that's changed is Scotland elected a party determined to gain independence, cake etc been mentioned before.

There is an interesting comparison to the EU, where our European cousins probably would prefer the UK stayed in as makes more sense to be together than divided but are so fed up with a small island trying to dictate the terms that in reality they just wish we would accept it or leave.

the difficulty is the vote will probably take place before all the details worked out and so all very hit and miss as to how it works for all concerned

Chopper1192":3k3cy8ya said:
Ah, the wonderful Alex Salmond stoking the flames to feed his own notoriety. After all, he's the only man in the world who seems not to understand the conventions that govern national borders and territorial waters when licking his lips over 'Scottish' oil.

I say we let Scotland have It's independence. The rest of the UK can stop funding them at a level grossly disproportionate to their GDP, the Welsh can have the nuclear subs and the jobs that go with them, and Scotland can rely on men with blue painted faces who strangle cats for music to defend them, or to perhaps act as a tourist attraction.

6nxhld.jpg

As for relying on relying on men with blue painted face, Scotland has always punched way over its weight in the armed forces. No amount of lazy stereotyping or patronising, inaccurate assertions about our economic performance changes the facts.

highlandsflyer":2qwzvm1q said:
Chopper1192":2qwzvm1q said:
Ah, the wonderful Alex Salmond stoking the flames to feed his own notoriety. After all, he's the only man in the world who seems not to understand the conventions that govern national borders and territorial waters when licking his lips over 'Scottish' oil.

I say we let Scotland have It's independence. The rest of the UK can stop funding them at a level grossly disproportionate to their GDP, the Welsh can have the nuclear subs and the jobs that go with them, and Scotland can rely on men with blue painted faces who strangle cats for music to defend them, or to perhaps act as a tourist attraction.

6nxhld.jpg

As for relying on relying on men with blue painted face, Scotland has always punched way over its weight in the armed forces. No amount of lazy stereotyping or patronising, inaccurate assertions about our economic performance changes the facts.

NUTS1? GVA?
Wha?

NUTS (Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics

Gross value added (GVA) is a measure in economics of the value of goods and services produced in an area, industry or sector of an economy.

Basically productivity stats for the UK.

Whether independense was gained or not I feel the debate is good, it might shake up the stale state of politics in the UK. I personally am sick of the little changes between governments who are all broadly middle of the road and more concerned with holding power and slagging off the last government. An independent Scotland would have to at least in the short term be more interesting as we had to get all our systems working. Alternatively a close vote would tell West Minster that they cant ignore us and a total no landslide would be a legitimate reason for greater integration of the UK. Hopefully something better than the status quo will result.
Thing I find weirdest though is UKIP and Tories want a United Kingdom but much of the latter and all of the former want a disunited Europe. Is it because West Minster calls the shots in the UK, ie its Top Dog yet in EU, Brussels calls the shots and West Minster isn't the Alpha. If this was definitely the case then I would definitely vote for independence as I will not be subject to Imperial decree willingly. As there are no definites my mind is not yet made up but I find my eyes constantly rolling as yet more reasons for why Scotland cant go it alone keep coming out of London, such as from the Bank of England. A proper UK should have a Bank of UK, it sounds imperialist and oppressive for an institution that calls the shots on UK economic policy to be so England centric. I know that sounds petty but thats just one of many things that do upset the nationalists.
So to summarise my hopes:
Independence, everything changes
Close run No vote, Devo Max given serious consideration, thus stuff changes
No contest No Vote, maybe greater integration but please some change not the status quo pleeeeaaaassssseeeee !!!!

Oh and UP THE FLATLANDERS !!!!!! :D

I’m not clear on what the ‘yes’ voters actually want for Scotland.

The only way Scotland will be fully independent is by the creation of its own currency. Without this monetary policy will be dictated from elsewhere be it The bank of England or the EU. There seems to be no talk of this so I am confused how Scotland could become fully independent?

Does Scotland want full independence or just grater social/legal powers, which I though they already had?

It is annoying that the SNP which has had decades to figure out what it wants and what it needs to do still seems to have gaping holes in its plans.
Reminds me of the Green Party, you cant base your entire campaign stategy on one idea, whats the Green parties policy on Tax, Employment,Defence etc.
Scotland is not a county of England, lets make this clear. We are a historically seperate country that share administration with the other parts of the UK. Elements withing Scotland want a return to full independence, others want greater self rule without full independence, yet more are happy with the Status Quo and others again want a return to West Minster rule.
All groups need a clear idea of what they want and how it can be achieved.
Otherwise forums like this will be full of confused people and worse people like me who will get a vote in the independence referendum who cant get a clear picture of whats what :x

As for currency, lets go back to the Groat or the Bawby though our current pound value Bank notes are already different :roll:

I assume Salmond and his band will be up for taking their share of the National Debt on if they go...

This minor (!) point never seems to get mentioned when discussing whetehr Scotland could stand on it's own two feet economically.

Back