Imagine my horror - cracking Magura fork

Thanks again everyone and especially Liam. What you say about over torquing not be able to cause cracks like that is what I had been thinking too - particularly since I tightened the bolts to the specified 6nm torque anyway.

I think I will ask winstanleys to give me the details of their contact at Magura uk and find out if they have even consulted them.

Unfortunately it was a debit card purchase so I don't think I'll be covered on that front.

Rich

wynne":artb625g said:
Unfortunately it was a debit card purchase so I don't think I'll be covered on that front.

Rich

You are protected if you pay with either a Credit or Debit Card for any purchase. Have a look here for more information.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... chargeback

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... hargeback/

The "Not Under Warranty" repair is an old tactic the more dubious Retailers can and do apply, as the forks have been sitting around gathering dust for a number of years the Warranty has no doubt run out as Magura only provide a 2 Year Warranty from new. The Retailer will have a date of sale from when the forks came into stock with them and the warranty usually runs from that date forward, now if your Retailer is trustworthy they will still honour the Warranty and have procedures in place with their Supplier/Manufacturer to still honour the Warranty based on the Retail date of the sale. Some Suppliers/Manufacturers do dismiss the Warranty claim if the product sold is over 12-24 months old, even though it's new to the end user, so it's down to the Retailer to sort it out if they don't have enough clout with their supplier. The situation your in seems to follow this line and I don't think you are going to get any leeway from Winstanley's, it may be an idea to contact the Manufacturer, explain the situation and hope that they are willing to replace the lowers F.O.C. tell them when you purchased the forks, explain that you have used the same model of fork before and you always recommend Magura to everyone you know (lay it on thick) and they may take pity on you. If this does fail then contact your Bank and ask them to do a chargeback and give them as much information as possible and don't give your Retailer an inch. The issue should be resolved it all depends on how patient you are and how many hoops your prepared to jump through.

Regards

Liam

My two pennith:
Not over tightened, 'cos that would strip the treads (magnesium cf steel bolt).
Not bolts too long, 'cos that'd prob do the same.
Poss too much grease in thread hole which, when the bolt was screwed in, built up pressure in the hole. A snug fit of the bolt in the threads would prevent the grease escaping and splitting the post mount would be the only way for the pressure to be relieved.
I did it with an old Hope hub when fitting a disc rotor. More recent Hope hubs do not have closed thread holes so the grease can escape out of the back.

I was careful with the threads. I cleaned the housing out with the little bottle brush pictured below and put a very small smear of loctite 248 on the bolts, then torqued them to 6nm with my Norbar wrench.

Attachments

• torque_wrench 013.JPG
    torque_wrench 013.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,197
I'd contact Magura, with details of Winstanley's reply to you, and ask if you can send the sliders to them for examination. Explain that you followed the correct fitting procedures and specs., that you are unhappy with Winstanley's explanation of how the damage occurred and see what they come up with.

That's what I would do, anyway.

The fact that it's happened to both posts and not just the one would suggest it's not a manufacturing defect. Hard to tell without the part in front of me but the looks to my like the caliper has been subjected to a lateral load or impact at some point, hence the cracks on the sides of the posts and no the front/rear.

I don't know what blend of magnesium or magnesium alloys used, but while it is light it doe have certain characteristics that make it less than idea for certain load bearing applications. Magnesium race wheels tend to be binned after 1000 mile of car or they risk breaking up.

I get what you're saying about it happening on both posts - the same thought had occurred to me. I keep coming back to the fact that I followed fitting instructions - even using new Magura bolts. The only slightly off piste action was a very thin smear of loctite 248.

I can't recall it. That's not to say it hasn't happened.
How can you be sure?

As I mentioned before wouldn't you expect the calliper to fail before the mount?

If the brake had taken a sideways knock you would expect to see some marks on it being a white brake and looks clean from the pictures.

Back