broken 1987 105 mtb freehub - fixable?

als0":1tr0a8p4 said:
any good?

I hope so!

Unfortunately I'm seriously slow on bike stuff and probably won't finish this (small) job til after my exams in June. But I have been thinking about it. And I'm wondering how I get into this hub. There's no obvious place to slot in one of those tools you use to undo a lockring and the small cog looks like part of the block. The silver washer thing closest to the axle has no thread, it's just a washer/spacer. Should I try and prize off the black smooth bit around it? Then what? All help much appreciated!

DSC_0416_zps68479508.jpg

Hmm, looking at the freehub it's threaded so maybe I
should just try and unscrew the small cog. I have two chain whips - I must say I've never got on very well with a chain whip.

looks like uniglide. You unscrew the bottom cog - see the threads on the photo above.

You will need 2x chain whips see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zWYLb2RMPA

The freehub itself comes off the hub like a hyperglide with a big allen key AFAIK, and you can replace the uni glide with an appropriate hyperglide free hub and cassette AFAIK

Brilliant, thank you. Great video too, very clear, though I've a feeling this one's going to take a bit more force.

Back