1989 Jamis Dakar Comp - Pink, Purple, Prestige.

frantik

Retro Guru
p1010177q.jpg

Snagged this Jamis Dakar Comp yesterday from the original owner.. mix of Deore XT and Deore, Tange Prestige MTB frame with a Tange MTB fork. Seat post is Suntour XC, stem is Ritchey Force. I'm guessing on the year but SLR brakes and 7speed SIS with hyperglide didn't come out until 1989 model year, and in 1990 Shimano switched to trigger shifters. Component dates on the brakes are march 1988, so it could have been an early 1989 model manufactured in 1988.

"As found".. even came with period correct water bottles, one with a 90s Gary Fisher logo and another with some 80s art from Specialized. Weighs in just under 28lbs

p1010158u.jpg

p1010163gj.jpg

p1010164av.jpg

p1010165e.jpg

p1010167i.jpg

p1010140g.jpg

p1010175h.jpg

thanks :D yeah i'm not feeling the green tires either, but they roll nice at least :) Will be swapping them out soon enough

Coming very soon :D

p1010006vh.jpg

Shimano Deore XT M735 short cage rear derailleur with Bullseye pulleys
Shimano Deore XT M730 front derailleur
Shimano Deore XT M732 thumb shifters (with steel bandclamps taken from MT-60 thumbies to fit drop bars)
Shimano Deore MT62 canti brakes
Shimano Deore MT60 crank arms with Sugino rings 48/36
Origin8 Gary 2 handlebar
Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers
Tektro fork mounted cable stop
Jagwire cables and housing

Not pictured
Shimano Deore XT M730 headset
Shimano Deore XT M730 pedals
Shimano Deore XT M730 Front hub
Shimano Deore XT M732 Rear hub with 7 speed 12-28 cassette
Araya RM-17 rims
Suntour XC seat post

makster":38zunopm said:
Please don't tell me you're fitting drops to this gorgeous Jamis??
Not a fan of dirt drops, huh? Flat bars hurt my wrists after a while and I feel way more in control with a drop bar.

The Gary bar and brake levers aren't period correct, but they were using dirt drops back in the 80s.. Here's a fat tire flyer from 1986 ;)
jacquiecover.JPG

In 1891, bicycles had one huge wheel at the front and a tiny one at the back.
I wouldn't do that now though :D

I'm a huge fan of old Jamis bikes, and think this would be better left as standard, that's all, but whatever makes you happy!

well hopefully when the build is complete you'll feel I at least did it justice ;) I've hung all the parts, just need to grab a few things from the LBS and run the cables, should be good to go very soon :D

^ nice Jamis collection.. I want one of those fillet brazed diablos!

this build is almost done.. waiting on some bar tape to be delivered as the tape i bought locally isn't quite as good of a color match as I had hoped. Should weigh in at just about 25 pounds when done

Back