So which Raleigh MTB is worth having? (Activators n/a)

The History Man":jly73caw said:
Top quality innovation then!

Noticed the interesting shed in background. Share? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256540

Nice to see dark colours washed separately :LOL:

I've shared the shed on the right on that thread! The playhouse on the left was also already in the garden when I moved in. My nephews and nieces like it when they come over, but I'm tempted to remove it and build a pizza oven.

Haha, I couldn't be bothered to move my washing, but it is all the same shades - blacks/slates/greys!

I have a Max Cromo 2 from 94/95 which I've owned from new. Spent most of its life in the shed and only non-original parts are the v brakes. I binned the canti's a while ago when clearing out the shed oops!

Just in the process of making it into a hybrid style bike with 1.95 city jets and full SKS cromoplastic mudguards.

Working on it at the weekend made me realise what a nice bike it is - really light considering it has an oversize frame and nice components. I was surprised to find to has a cassette type freewheel.

Regards
Ian

Barry Bond Road bike 1984
Raleigh Max Cromo 1994
Specialized Hard Rock pro disc 2009
Raleigh Rapide 531 1982
Haro Mary SS 2007

I have a Dynatech Dynacurve Mission that's sold as I need to sell a few. Trouble is I can't decide what else to part with.

The History Man":2cuueex8 said:
If I could find a 531 like that and in 23" I'd be happy.

I have seen quite a few Chinooks, Appalachian, Ozarks and Avanti's appear the large sizes (it seems as if that's all they sold BITD). They are all handbuilt 531 main frames with the Appalachian and Avanti benefiting 531 forks and the Avanti 531 stays rather than no name tube. They are a really nice ride and deserve a far wider audience. The others to look out for are Cajun, Thunder Road, Blue Ridge, Moonshine, White Lightning (this is 653 rather than 531) and the rare Team like mine.

As for the Magnum they are based on the Mustang SIS and were probably a Catalogue special (like the Cobra was), they are what you'd call substantial and not very durable with many poor quality parts that were specific to this frame (odd BB and steerer tube were two things).

Carl.

Latest posts

Back