lets see your retro road action photos ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Re: lets see your 80s photos ...

Just out of interest, i have to presume the Super Champions are the rims. Are they good rims? I have a couple of NOS pairs which i acquired recently still with the strange paper round bits of them - even the paper was built to last!!

Richard

Richard, There were several different weights of rims they made, my 10 ounce rims were often described as 8 ounce, but I think they were the lightest.
If you build them and can compare with modern rims you will be alarmed at the flexibiity that the builder has to cope with. I used to finish them with no more than quarter turns diametrically opposite, and correcting as I went. It could take over an hour to finish one.
I sold most of our bikes last year, but these are still hanging on the garage wall.
Keith

Is that the Gordano Valley team kit you're wearing Keith?

Correct Paul, I don't know what the watch was for, I was the one who turned up for a time trial with a sun dial on the handlebars. It must have been my road vest, as Mrs B either had red and white vertical stripes above light blue, or for longer distance dark blue with red sleeves road vest.
Keith

Keith,

You obviously know more about wheel building than i do - although that is not difficult, as i know nothing. It is something i would like to do but i doubt i would have the time or commitment to learn. I have a local wheel builder who is a legend in Ireland regarding his wheels - and a bit of a legend regarding his ability to push a huge gear all day long!!! I should add he is an older gentleman and (i will find out) must be about 70 years old and is just home from a weeks cycling in Majorca - i would have loved to go with him but there is no way on earth that i could have stayed with him!!! It was the same 28 years ago too - some things never change!!!

What would you suggest is the best way to build those rims?

Richard

And I was going to say "carefully".
Back in the 1960's I sometimes ordered spokes pehaps 120 gross at a time, and built most of them.
Two things, my left hand would continually feel the tension, and when the wheel is getting a bit of tension, I would hold the spoke between thumb and finger of the left hand so that I could feel when the spoke nipple was actually turning on the spoke, not just winding it up. Most of our spokes were 15/17G. (1.8mm butted), not the tree trunks some used.

Keith,

Would it be rude to ask your age? And i have to presume you still cycle - am i right?

Ignoring this question is not an issue at all.

Richard

Richard,
I'll be 80 in a few days, can't really get out on the road now, a bit wobbly.
A few years off topic, this was 1951, rather a long fork rake, "bendylux" gears,
and a Harden freewheel hub, (not much good) and a Strongliight 49A (steel),and typical Brooks terrible saddle clamp. Note useless CO2 pump.
Clearly fighting for King and country.
Keith

Attachments

• 1952L_Vince3.jpg
    1952L_Vince3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 137
Back