Manitou Mach 5 fork *edit* FS Bulge!...to save or replace...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have just picked up my latest Marin (a 1997 Mount Vision) and the forks which are Manitou Mach 5's are not working well and have been neglected...

...my question is are they worth saving? Are they any good and can spares be got? I am used to air shocks and would I be better off trying to get another set of forks or sticking with these and trying to refurb them?

Pics can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=256971

Thanks in advance

Doug

Re: Manitou Mach 5 fork...to save or replace...

I can't help, but have recently been wondering what earlier manitou forks were like, and how they compared with other forks of the day.

Yours look in fine fettle from the outside, assume the innards haven't been as lucky?

ishaw":2wyf9g9l said:
I can't help, but have recently been wondering what earlier manitou forks were like, and how they compared with other forks of the day.

Yours look in fine fettle from the outside, assume the innards haven't been as lucky?

Hmm unsure myself...they are elastimers I pressume...seem unresponsive and sluggish....but I am not familiar with retro forks only my fox forks on my '08 Rift Zone which are air and work very well...is this what I should expect from early forks?

Doug

take them apart Doug, and have a look. You can get replacement elastomers from the States, but expect to pay $50 + postage for the privilege!

Pyro Tim":9w4moesi said:
take them apart Doug, and have a look. You can get replacement elastomers from the States, but expect to pay $50 + postage for the privilege!

Tim...I'll be straight and say I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking at! Besides maybe an air shock that I can adjust to my 16 stone maybe better??

I've refurbed three manitou forks over the time doug, one of which is in mid process as we speak......the inner leg meets the outer stanchion with four nylon bushes, and each skewer holds a series of cylindrical elastomers, held on a long bolt.....all bits are available from suspensionforkparts.com, but are fairly costly as stated.........all things considered they are good forks, travel is undamped and fairly minimal, but they look good and are easy to maintain and reliable.....I'd go for it!....

Whoops serves me right for going by the spec in the catalogue! In the catalogue they say that they come with Manitou Mach 5's but looking at the actual fork on the bike they say Manitou FS Bulge! They also say cartridge so I am right in thinking elastimers?...how similar or not are they to Mach 5's...

Back