Specialized Stumpjumper Help - Build thoughts

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well it would seem that through the combination of alcohol and access to eBay I will shortly be taking on a 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 build :oops: :facepalm:

This isn't the potential money pit that a usual build would be as I have almost/all of the bits (see below)

I have a complete M952 groupset that I plan to use albeit with some Arch Rivals taking the braking duties as if honest I prefer them.

The frame is a 1998 so I hope to use a Thomson (non oversize) stem and seatpost.

The one bit of the build I could do with some advise on if forks.

The std approach for Specialized at the time was the Manitou route. Not keen on this so was planning to use some Z2's or go rigid.

Thinking 420mm rigid forks :| as my Z2s are 65mm travel or will I be fine?

All suggestions and thoughts welcomed :xmas-big-grin:

My Stumpy had Judys! I think it was 99 they went for Manitous...

Edit: Just checked Bikepedia - Judys and Manitou mix for 98

2-3 inches max I would imagine, although I run mavericks on mine which are 100mm ish. The good thing about the M2 is you can pretty much stick any fork on the front within reason and it still handles beautifully

I know a few people on here who have used more modern 100mm forks on their stumpys with no issues whatsoever.

I put some Z3's on mine which felt fine handling wise (suspension wise they weren't great though!)

He he! I too have just purchased a Stumpjumper M2 Comp Hardtail (199:cool: frame from Ebay :D
I currently have a steel-framed Rockhopper from 1997, so thought I would do the upgrade thing slowly, one year at a time....
I have over the years replaced most bits on the Rocky apart from the BB and cranks, and it is all mostly XT components now, so I will move all of these bits over to my 'new' Stumpjumper frame to keep costs down.

I have a question though. Does anyone know the size/spec of the Bottom Bracket that I need for the Stumpjumper? I read in BikePedia that I need a 68mm English thread. Was thinking of going for an XT octalink BB, but do I just measure the width of the BB on the frame to get the correct size?. (Although I have worked on bikes a bit, I have never changed a BB).

ALso what do people think of the Strongarm cranks? Can I get something better without going overboard on price (<£50 if possible), or are they pretty good. I have to sday, in all the years I have owned my Rockhopper ( I bought it new), they have always seemed fine. But then I thought that about my gripshifts until I swapped 'em for XT indexed gears about 6 months ago...

Latest posts

Back