I've only gone and brought an unknown bike :rolleyes:

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This forum is plagued (for want of a better word!) by people trying to identify their un-badged bikes, occasionally they are positively identified and the bike goes on to redeem it's identity but the vast majority remain unidentified. I fear that this bike will fall into the latter category but am I worried? Nah I can deal with that :)

I picked this up locally off Gumtree. I was drawn by the seat cluster, Stronglight chainset, Campagnolo dropouts, GB stem and brazed on centrepull hanger. The bike was listed as a Dunlop Answer Pro Taper which clearly it is not!

Upon inspection I was greeted by a Hammerite painted bike with GB bars and stem, Stronglight 49 Depose single chainset, 27.2mm seatpost, interesting braze ons for centre pull and bar end shifters (i.e it had downtube guides rather than gear lever braze ons), Campagnolo dropouts and Campagnolo bar end shifter bodies.

The plan? Well that'll be telling ;)

Any idea's on what it is will be appreciated although it is not high on my list of priorities to identify it.

Last thing I need is another long term project but y'know you gotta get them when they come your way haven't you....

Re: I've only gone and built an unknown bike :rolleyes:

Well that's a very personal frame...........built for someone who knew what he wanted. Any idea of the age?

I wondered if someone wanted a racing / light tourer with bar end levers but the mudguard eyes are missing, plus the fork rake is a bit tight. Some people had their longer distance (100mile, 12 hour etc) frames built like this.

And then it has the oh-so-sexy rear stay treatment :D

Looks a bit like a Quinn (but the number has no "Q"), they did a lot of cyclo-cross stuff with Galli kit attached BITD.

Shaun

Centrepull breaks, Barend shifters and the frame geometry tells of touring bike... But there are no mounts for panniers or mudguards.
I agree it's probabally a custom build/small shop batch. Lovely frame though, love those stronglight chain sets too, just get the cranks lined up correctly!

Not sure on age, going by components, providing they're original, late 60's early 70's. AFAIK centre pull brakes and bar end shifters were all the rage and not just reserved for tourers. There is quite a bit of clearance in the back end though.

If my ageing is right then it was built for tubs rather than 27" clinchers.

Anyhow it strikes me as a bit special too, lots of potential....

You did much better with that Gumtree find than I did Tel - very interesting looking frame that, nice lines, nice find. Go on, spill the beans, what's the plan...

Maybe it is a cyclocross frame. I've seen lots of pictures of 1960's cyclocross bikes
with centre pull brakes instead of cantis. Roger de Vlaeminck sometimes rode
bikes with sidepull brakes and downtube shifters in 'cross races.

Looks lovely anyway, have fun with it.

Johnny

The exposed cable on the top tube usually meant that it was meant to be ridden from A to B and the rider never got off.....a bit uncomfortable if dismounting regularly :)

Woodrup / Jackson 70's sort of thing ?

Shaun

I like that - whatever it is... Look forward to seeing what you do with it. Sometimes part of the charm of an old bike is knowing that it's good, but not having the faintest idea what it really is...

Is that part of the original (red) finish peeping out on the fork crown just under the headset? Chances are it could all still be under there- transfers and all. Are you up for Hammerite removal at the pace of an archeological dig?

I like the fork crown, complementing those plain-as-a-pikestaff prugnats. This frame is bitterly complaining: "WTF happened to my Mafacs?" (or Universals)

Johnsqual":1mxi1ft0 said:
Maybe it is a cyclocross frame. I've seen lots of pictures of 1960's cyclocross bikes
with centre pull brakes instead of cantis. Roger de Vlaeminck sometimes rode
bikes with sidepull brakes and downtube shifters in 'cross races.

Looks lovely anyway, have fun with it.

Johnny

+1 - it wasn't unknown before the days of frames designed with more mud clearance and fatter tyre allowance; RdV's brother Erik rode side-pull brakes in the '73 Worlds at Crystal Palace, whilst there's a fairly well-known pic of John Atkins in one of the old Carlton brochures running centre-pull brakes.

David

Back