Garmin 800 Edge

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
If anybody has one, I'm after some advice. I'm looking to buy with the Trail OS Map option, yet I'm confusing myself. Can I use this for speed output without the cadence sensor? Does it come with a speed sensor or is this part of the performance pack only?

Buying trail bundle seems I'd have to buy cadence sensor & HR Monitor separately...

Speed is taken from GPS I believe. But if using static you need cadence sensor

I've got a 500, but suspect the speed/cadence is much the same...

You can run it without the speed/cadence sensor and it will take the speed from the GPS. If you have the speed/cadence sensor then it will use that. Have one 500, once cadence/speed sensor and many mounts (on most of my bikes), only use the speed/cadence sensor n the road bike.

If you want to run it on a turbo (static?) hen you'll need the sensor 'cos no matter how hard you're peddling you won't be moving according to GPS, or if you are, there are bigger issues afoot.

Indeed as Ted says the motion/speed sensor is the GPS itself just like the one in your car. I have an 800, the one with the white band which I believe denotes it as the road model. I had it loaded with toys such as the cadence sensor and heart Rae monitor.

The cadence sensor attaches to the chainstay and has a magnet that fixes to the crank. The information is transmitted to the main unit wirelessly. The HRM works in the usual way with a chest strap.

What is this speed sensor Ted? I often use mine on a roller but have to rely on another computer. I do turn the GPS off to avoid it scanning for satellites all the time.

Iwasgoodonce":2b2tg2xv said:
What is this speed sensor Ted? I often use mine on a roller but have to rely on another computer. I do turn the GPS off to avoid it scanning for satellites all the time.

My cadence sensor also has a wheel speed sensor built in - so on my road bike you have a magnet on the crank for cadence, and one on the back wheel for speed.

Picture here - http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... tAodMwIA7w - cadence sensor is the flat side of the main unit, speed sensor is via the adjustable arm. They've helpfully let the two magnets (crank and wheel) become "as one" for the photo.

Back