Explain headsets please

Torqueless - apologies, I misread the posts earlier, got your goodself & Dan's posts mixed. Can't you tell i've had 6 hours of nitromors fumes in my nosrels today!

nice line of thought in terms taking years to be able to afford to get a bike on the road - interestingly I am now at bare metal on the whole job and not an inkling of a previous colour scheme. My theory on 80's make-over may just have been blown apart and it could well be as you suggested - purchased in 70's with cranks then not touched until the early 80's. The previous owner had owned it since 87 but said he bought it from a cc member who did use it for TT's - alas I didnt ask what bloody decade!

At £23 I may just do a job on that Tange - at least then i'll know what i'm dealing with. Would feel a bit agitated by it though as this week has been bloody marvellous for sourcing parts - proper set of wheels, mint levers, calipers, bar tape etc so a fresh out the box component would be a bit of an outsider.

I need to do a bit of decision making me thinks! And I still don't understand stack height calculations!!! :facepalm: well not enough to know whats needed on a build! back to school time.

Good looking piece of kit that - 130 sovs though - ouch! We're second hand bike parts always this expensive!!

I currently have a devil & an angel on each shoulder regarding the freewheel & chain - if the devil wins then the costs on this restoration will be on the wrong side of daft!

Is that Tange Falcon visually the same as those BITD Shaun?

I'll have a look in the garage tomorrow at my near 40 year old Tange headset :)

Have you been looking at Campyoldy's website for the chain / block?

Shaun

Midlife":1xqyqlyd said:
I'll have a look in the garage tomorrow at my near 40 year old Tange headset :)

Have you been looking at Campyoldy's website for the chain / block?

Shaun

Any joy Shaun?

Yep, had a looksee on Campyoldy & the bay - whichever way it's cash cash cash all the way. And as for a saddle, any other period options other than a Unicanitor?

Still can't make me mind up on a headset though, just wish the frame had come with something half usable!!

I'll tell you about the headsets in the garage I investigated later :)

Saddles were split between the old uns that used their Brooks (and swapped them between bikes) and the upstarts that used suede / leather / newbuck ones. Selle Royal S17 were popular..........missed this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SELLE-ROYAL-S ... 7675.l2557

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There's the Milremo Professional saddle too- the poor man's Unica. IIRC about £5 in the mid 70s compared to about £8 for a Unica. (the Milremo was built on an 'Arius' plastic foundation- It may be possible to find one and mess about with foam/hide/adhesive)

There must be a contemporaneous and comparable Ideale, as well, but I guess if there's any of those left, most of 'em will be in France.

"Garage" and "investigated" sounds intriguing!

£3.00 that saddle went for!!! - and it looks the part to - have found a Unicanitor in leather with the Cinelli still nicely embossed on the back though the side panel detail has long gone - £85 :facepalm: bit steep for my liking. And as for the plastic re-issue, well less said about that the better.

I'm afraid to say i'd of been one of them 'upstarts' - I simply cannot get on with Brooks, find them staggeringly uncomfortable. Selle Royal added to the options list :)

I had noticed the Milremo as well, again nice looking and certainly an option if I can find a nice one in black. Why was brown so bloody popular - I know my grans sofa was brown as was the curtains :facepalm: but bike saddles in brown?

Again - sterling input gents, appreciated.

Had a few moments in the garage today....

first thing was to check the Pure TT 70's Jackson headset, Alloy EDCO Headset, cost me a fortune but the weight saving was worth it LOL Used to run the Jackson with Campag Pista for which it was designed but seduced by the alloy EDCO :) .

4er6o.jpg

Then remembered 36 years ago with horror that there was no room for a spacer so just put the locknut against the top race. at least the forks wouldn't fall off if the locknut did.

Had a Look at the San-Remo, yep, 36 year old Tange Falcon Locknut but no Falcon type groove in the cups.....took off the locknut here

122zq04.jpg

Then the top race.......and blimey it's a Campag Pista !.....then there are a shed load of small balls all over the floor, forgot they were smaller than usual and not captive.

dq27wk.jpg

Now wonder where the rest of Tange headset is, where the Campag Pista locknut is and also where is the Campag Strada headset I bought for the San-Remo?

I'd buy the Tange Falcon from e-bay if I were you :)

Shaun

I can see why you were seduced by the EDCO - lovely looking bit of kit that :)

And it sounds like you had a bit of an adventure in the garage - one that should continue as having two headsets 'somewhere' in the garage would have me out with a torch finding them!

You could well be right on the Tange - I did a worldwide ebay search today for Campag and the numbers for sale are quite pitiful and some of the prices astronomical!! Was the 'Falcon' the top of the range as have seen 3 - passage, levin & falcon - no great shakes on cost difference so may as well get the best one...

cheers

Back